Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Getting back to the AC single action fuel pump rebuild and am looking for ideas on getting the old valves out with out butchering up the casting. Any good ideas????

DG

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Screw a sheetmetal screw into valve and then use a vicegrip on the screw head to pull it out.

ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
That's another idea, thanks Don, might just give that a try before I try puting it up in the mill. I could use the screw in the slide hammer rather than the visegrips.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/23/10 12:12 AM.
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Just as a follow up, the sheet metal screw that Don suggested work great. Used my small slide hammer and popped them out in less than a minute without a scratch on the dicasting.
A few pix of assembly and finished pump. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/fuel
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/27/10 09:53 AM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Denny,

I always enjoy your photo documentation of restoration work you have done, and I appreciate your craftsmanship, especially as regards special tools and fixtures that you have made to get the job done. I've done some similar jobs, such as sleeving the wheel cylinders with stainless steel, drilling/tapping the crankshaft snout to accomodate a puller/driver for the harmonic balancer, etc., and would like to photo-document future jobs for possible submission to the G&D or the chat site. What camera do you use for your photos, and what resolution setting do you use? Do you encounter file size problems with your photo web hosting site or with the chat site?

Mark Yeamans
VCCA #35724

ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Mark, my camera is nothing fancy, just a little Kodak Easy Share C340 I bought for my wife a couple of Christmases back. I messed with Webshots and Photobucket at first and then decided to subscribe to the pbase album that I keep my photos in. It costs about fifty bucks a year but I don’t have to put up with all the advertising and anyone can download the photos if they want to. The size of the pictures that the camera makes is about 1.25m and sometimes I save them for the web in Photoshop at a little under 1m. This takes up a lot of room in my album rather than compressing them but it gives the viewer a very clear picture since my objective is to describe what I’m doing most of the time.
When I was a young buck just learning about the world, we didn’t have anything like the internet or digital photo sharing to study from. Heck back in the 50’s and 60’s a Motors manual was the only reference material that we had. Even though I worked in Chevy Dealerships as a parts man from ”˜59 to ”˜64, I never saw any of the booklets, film strips or shop manuals the we have available to us now. I’m just trying to share what I’ve picked up over the years with some of the guys that are new to the hobby. A lot of guys worked in an office their whole life never having looked under the hood and then get interested in restoring an old rust bucket when they retire. I’d like to think that I helped some of them get up to speed by showing them some the solutions that I’ve found.

I enjoy trying to figure out how the GM factory assembled stuff and then try to duplicate their method here in the home shop. That often requires making a special tooling so having a back ground in metal fabrication, machine work, welding, electronics and mechanical repairs has always come in handy with my restoration work.

DG

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.