Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#192344 12/21/10 09:07 AM
46chevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi... how do you test if a 6 volt coil is good??? Do you need special equipment??? Thanks... Marcellin

Marcellin
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Marcellin,
I don't know if this is covered in the service manual or not. I'll have to look. But, if you need to test it right away so you can go do some more shopping, here's a quick way that we use down here: (It's a nine step process)

First, make sure you have juice to the coil.

Second, make sure you have a juice to the distributor.

Third, make sure that the points are breaking.

Fourth, make sure that the coil wire to the distributor cap is in place and everything buttoned up.

Fifth, make sure that all spark plug wires are in place (actually you need only one, but you need for everything to look right).

Sixth, make sure you battery is charged up.

Seventh, have your buddy Homer (or someone) ready to crank the engine over.

Eight, pull a spark plug wire. Then say to your barefoot buddy Billy Bob (or whoever), "Hey, Billy Bob, I need yor help here. Hang on to the end of this here loose spark plug wire a minute for me whilst I fetch a spark plug wrench. I don't think this sucker is tight enough."

Ninth (and last step), ease back and signal Homer to crank her over.

From Billy Joe's reaction or lack thereof, you will know right away if the coil is good or not. Works every time.
Glad to help,
Charlie manwre

BTW: Everybody has a Billy Bob around. There is a even a pleathra (for folk in TN, that means "a heap") of them around here.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
ya got me chuckling. thanks, mike

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
While Charlie's method will surely work it requires two buddies (or former buddies) to preform. And if you substitute the "BOSS" for one of your buddies then it can be really painful.

It can be done with a single person if necessary. The first three steps are the same. Skip to step six. Step seven: Now remove the distributor cap if it is not still removed from step three. Step eight: Take the coil wire from the top of the distributor and hold the end ~1/2 inch from the block or other grounded metal part. Step nine: open and close the points. If you get a spark across the ~1/2 inch gap that makes a "snap" sound then the coil, points and wiring up to the coil are all okay. If you get a weak spark then check the points first to see if they are clean. If you short across them with and get a noticeably stronger spark than opening an closing they need to be cleaned or replaced. A weak spark at the points gives a weak or intermittent spark elsewhere.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Best one yet Charlie - Thanks!!

Jim.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
Marcellin,
I don't know if this is covered in the service manual or not. I'll have to look. But, if you need to test it right away so you can go do some more shopping, here's a quick way that we use down here: (It's a nine step process)

First, make sure you have juice to the coil.

Second, make sure you have a juice to the distributor.

Third, make sure that the points are breaking.

Fourth, make sure that the coil wire to the distributor cap is in place and everything buttoned up.

Fifth, make sure that all spark plug wires are in place (actually you need only one, but you need for everything to look right).

Sixth, make sure you battery is charged up.

Seventh, have your buddy Homer (or someone) ready to crank the engine over.

Eight, pull a spark plug wire. Then say to your barefoot buddy Billy Bob (or whoever), "Hey, Billy Bob, I need yor help here. Hang on to the end of this here loose spark plug wire a minute for me whilst I fetch a spark plug wrench. I don't think this sucker is tight enough."

Ninth (and last step), ease back and signal Homer to crank her over.

From Billy Joe's reaction or lack thereof, you will know right away if the coil is good or not. Works every time.
Glad to help,
Charlie manwre

BTW: Everybody has a Billy Bob around. There is a even a pleathra (for folk in TN, that means "a heap") of them around here.
Here in OHIO we are pretty much "DRY"..or in N.C. lingo "PLUM OUT" of Billy Bobs. It seems they have all put their mattress on top of their cars and moved to North Carolina to get out of the snow...ED

Last edited by ED1938; 12/26/10 01:22 PM.

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
46chevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
regarding the link you supplied, how or where do I find the resistance specifications for the primary and secondary windings??? my shop manual has almost nothing on coils... Thanks everyone... Marcellin

Marcellin

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.