Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#189081 11/19/10 09:00 PM
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Anyone ever sell or buy out of the country? I've got several emails ,one from Norway and another from Australia. I learned something today about Paypal. They don't do automotive sales. The $500 depoist is all they handle. I have no idea what is required other than the title to get through the customs dept. of another country. It wouldn't be my problem if I sell out of country ,just curious. I don't have a confirmed buyer just a bidder.

Last edited by wawuzit; 11/19/10 09:21 PM.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Selling out of the country can be a real nightmare and a hassle. It is so much easier to make a sale when a dude comes knocking on your front door asking to buy your car. bigl

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree. I'm just going to sell,the buyer will have to ship the car where and how he wants. Just curious how it works. It may not sell anyway. Just fishing. THANKS

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I was involved in exporting some cars and motorcycles back in the 90's. A customs broker is needed here in the US to clear the vehicle through customs. Then you need to either arrange a container for the vehicle or have your customs broker arrange for "row-row" shipment. Row row is where they drive the vehicle on ramps onto the ship and then park them on the ships decks. Each option has its own issues. You also need to have the title properly transferred, commercial invoices for the sale of the vehicle, all in multiple copies. The person who purchased the vehicle will need a customs agent on their side of the pond to receive the vehicle its and clear it through customs, pay VAT taxes and any other fees required by the country. I should also mention that the vehicle will need to be delivered to the port that its leaving from. If its going row row it will have to be able to start and run, multiple times, moving under its own power and have brakes that work. Then if you get to this point make sure you document the vehicle with the purchaser before it leaves your place, this can be really touchy if the person that has purchased your car did not come and touch and feel it before buying it. I'm sure I've missed some of the stuff, but I will say this. Its a pain in the [bleeped] and unless your making a ton of money stay away, the little details will make you crazy. Don

Last edited by donsbigtrucks; 11/20/10 09:40 AM.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Sounds like lots of problems and even more work. If I were to sell my car on ebay I would have stated U.S. Only but thats just me.... togo

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The major issue in selling out of country is making sure that the payment is complete and uncompromised. Only receive funds for the direct purchase and DO NOT agree to accept additional funds for shipment or other costs and then pay for them out of those funds. Those additional fund scams are famous.

You have a tremendous advantage in the sale with the legal ownership paperwork. It is required before passing through customs in most all countries. Until funds are received and you receive assurance from your bank that the funds are definitely in your account do not transfer the title or give it to anyone.

Make it known that the sale is FOB your location and AS IS WHERE IS. All transportation, paperwork costs, etc. are the responsibility of the buyer.

Last edited by Chipper; 11/20/10 11:31 AM.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I'm just going to sell,the buyer will have to ship the car where and how he wants.

Correct, the buyer is responsible for the paper work, transportation and etc. however, you will still be involved in the shipping to a certain extent. And, if you do ship the car overseas, you will be involved in the nightmare of the overseas shipping way more than you expected.

It may not sell anyway.

Hum....you already have a bid at $25,000 and even though the bid doesn't meet reserve, $25,000 is a good price for your car and you might want to consider selling it anyway for the one bid. Especially since you need money for the 2011 Cadillac. That is.....unless of course......you are willing to turn down $25,000 for the vehicle two times in a row. Just something to think about.

Anyway, the best of luck with your auction and it would be great if the reserve price is met.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
willy JYD, There you go again with dudes!! What about the dudettes? Are you trying to exclude them from the club? beer2 Beamer

Last edited by Beamer; 11/20/10 11:54 AM.

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The above statement reads:
It is so much easier to make a sale when a dude comes knocking on your front door asking to buy your car.

As I remember, according to wawuzit the person that came knocking on his door was a Dude, not a Dudette, and the fact that someone knocked on his door to buy his car has nothing to do with excluding anyone from the VCCA.

By the way, are you a Dudette by chance? bigl bigl bigl

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Not my problem. The ad says BUYER is responsible for pick up or shipping.

wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
I'll hang on for the $27,500 reserve or $28,000 buy it now price. If it doesn't sell,no big deal. My sweetheart deal is gone on the Caddy,but I can still order one. Just fishing.

wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
I wanting $27,500, the dude never went that high,he said maybe as high as $27,000. I think he's hung up on $25,000.

wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Buyer is responsible for pick up or deliveries.

wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
How would I be involved with shipping? You lost me. He gives me the money,I give him the title. End of story. If he wants a bill of sale to go along with the title, I can do that,otherwise,I don't care what he does with the car.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Heed Chippers advise and be sure your funds are guranteed by YOUR bank. My company does business with overseas buyers and the only form of payment we accept is direct bank transfer to our bank.

Steve D
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
I will for sure. It probably won't bring the $27,500 reserve.That'll be alright too. Just fishing.
You can put all the people I trust in my corvette.grin

Last edited by wawuzit; 11/20/10 11:04 PM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
As I posted otherwhere, I bought a 1940 in Wisconsin (Sept. 2010).
At the moment everything runs well.
There are hundreds of companies only doing shipping of cars all around the world, and they are the professionals knowing what and how to do. It is a special business.
People from US buy in Europa and people of EU buy in US, and everybody wants to get his car.

Did order a company not far from my home in germany, they have a partner "Rinkens Int." in US, and they did pick up the car in Wisconsin and "trailered" it to NY where it was packed into a normal 40ft. Container together with some other cars, and soon it will be on the ship to Bremerhaven, Germany, as I could see by track and trace.
Later they do the customs proceed, all customs stuff will be done in netherlands because of nasty laws it is much more cheap there, and to finish it they bring the car to my home.

As I did understand, one the important things is, the seller or dealer in US must have a sales tax number or, if private seller, a EIN number, whatever it is. The US will block a car to export if it is not for sure all necessary tax by law is paid before.
I did understand lot of people dont want to get a EIN number not to get involved in that "Big brother is watching you" system.
But for that case there are shipping companies who offer a "buyer" service too. You pay them the money asked for the car and they buy it under their name and ship it and later you pay them back.
I found out it might be it would not be possible to take a plane to go and buy the car by own hand, because it might be a buyer must have an US residence to get the permission to export a car. Not possible for "one week tourists".

But, to end here:
If there is a will, there is a way, as we say in germany.
And I am looking forward to get a nice "new" 1940 Special DeLuxe 4door sedan in december.

Regards
Stefangermany

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
And how much did it cost to transport the car from US to Europe?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I did pay 2250.- USD for pickup in Wisconsing and transportation to NY, packing and handling and doing all paperwork including customs. Actually it was just packed in a 40 ft container with 2 other cars and is waiting now for the ship.

Here in EU I paid around 1600.- EUR for container handling, unpacking and customs in Netherlands and transport from Netherlands to my home not far from Salzburg, Austria (About 600 miles from NL. At least there will be a last payment of 6% of 16000.- USD sales price for customs and duty after getting the car.
Doing same in germany would have been 10% customs and 19% tax. Funny laws in EU! In NL its only 6% customs and it is done. inside EU there is no tax and customs.

There are cheaper companies, but cheap is not always the best.
Cheapest was 2100.- EUR for all including, most expensive was 3500.- EU. Cheapest was even unable to do a correct communication, so I did quit with them, and most expensivest had somebody who does everything from first to last step by own hands meaning a guarantee nothing will happen, no scratches, no demolition, nothing.
But it is not all the time the best to look for the cheapest price.
For ex.: The car: Asked price was 15900 and maybe it would have been possible to squeeze the price down to 13000.- but I said: No, I dont want to get the cheapest car, I want to get the best car, so I ordered additional overhaulings and repairs around 3000.- USD and paid at least 19000.- for it. But the car seems to be worth for it. Funny at least I could find it on google street view pictures, standing aside the street with a "for sale" paper in rear window...
I know, these old cars are tricky, and sometimes it is more to do than expected. So it happened here, and I know, some repairs did need more time than expected. But if the car is as perfect as promised I will not let the dealer alone in the rain, as we say in germany, and pay him something additional. If everything works ok it might be not the last car I buy there. Some of my colleagues at work are also into old cars, and I did the first step now and know what and how to do, and maybe some colleagues will follow.

Stefangermany

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Indeed it makes sense that since you're paying to get the car to Europe you'd buy a solid one.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
YEP !

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.