Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Teamchevy #188248 11/10/10 07:31 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well, my uncle, his friend and a cousin came by today and we were able to get the compressor off the trailer. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We walked it down the trailer, while it was hooked to the car, used a set of ramps and walked it to the floor, all on the skid. Used a dollie and moved close to the corner, took it off the skid and walked it into the corner. Used some tapcon screws and lagged it to the floor. Next up is to get power to it and run a line to test it! laugh

Spent the rest of the day moving some tools and equipment in as well:
[Linked Image from i483.photobucket.com]

I know the walls aren't done and neither is the floor, but I've had stuff in boxes for quite awhile since we moved, I had to unload some of them and make the place look more lived in:

Dave
chevy

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I see the ghost orbs have been eraticated. laugh chevy

In my shop, quality is a standard, NOT and option.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by OilSpot
I see the ghost orbs have been eraticated. laugh chevy

Pretty much now!

Dave
chevy

Teamchevy #188348 11/11/10 07:25 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Not much done inside today. The weather's been great all week, so we've be trying to rake up the area around the garage so it'll be easier to get the seed growing in the spring, sorry no pics today!

Dave
chevy

Teamchevy #188605 11/14/10 04:48 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well, I have been doing a few other things since the last update. I finally wired up the compressor and tested it out, so that's off the list. I still need to hook up the filter & regulator, but I have to get some more fittings and hose. I may run some pipe so I can drain off the moisture as well. I raked and seeded three sides around the garage and back to the house. Then I had to re-wire the dryer in the house. When the panel was re-worked, we found that somone had installed the dryer using #12, not #10 as required, so I did that on Friday, bit of a pain in the butt, but it's done now. On Saturday I added some metal studs to frame and drywall the opening of the re-worked electrical panel in the house so I can put new doors on it. A neighbor gave me a metal cupboard he was going to toss, so I'll clean it up, paint it and store some tools in it. Last vacation day today, back to work tomorrow. stressed But at least I can go to the garage after work and start having some fun soon!!

Dave
chevy

Compressor tied in

Regulator & Filter

A friend's water trap, something I may do next week
[Linked Image from i269.photobucket.com]

Seeded yard

"New" Cupboard

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Looking good.
I realize you cant do much about it but I think the compressor cooling fan may be a bit close to the wall to be very effective. The other fittings make it awkward to turn it so the fan doesnt face the wall.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
tonyw #188697 11/15/10 06:52 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by tonyw
Looking good.
I realize you cant do much about it but I think the compressor cooling fan may be a bit close to the wall to be very effective. The other fittings make it awkward to turn it so the fan doesnt face the wall.
Tony

Thanks for the feedback Tony. I checked tonight and thats not a fan, it's the enclosed cage for the belt from the motor to the pump cylinders. I did have it turned more on an angle, but I thought it'd be harder to change the belt if required.

Dave
chevy

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
A friend's water trap, something I may do next week
[Linked Image from i269.photobucket.com]

Just an observation, your friends piping is not up to snuff. The water trap is OK but all the pipe leading up to it are "water and debris catchers" in themselves.

Ideally a long lenghth (30 feet) of iron pipe is most desirable ... the long length cools the hot air from the compressor . This pipe should be ran on a slight downslope to insure the moisture and debris inside ends up in the trap .... running the pipe with switchbacks (zig-zagging but still keeping a slight slope) solves the problem of the space restrictions.
Avoid using galvanized pipe if possible .... the inside coating flakes off and causes all kinds of problems.
And keep in mind the attachment from compressor to pipe should be a flexible hose .

Just my .02 cents ..... Looking great!

'59 Sedan Delivery, 70 Chevelle, '93 Corvette Anniversary Roadster .... and other stuff!
Rank #188737 11/16/10 07:47 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Rank
Just an observation, your friends piping is not up to snuff. The water trap is OK but all the pipe leading up to it are "water and debris catchers" in themselves.

Ideally a long lenghth (30 feet) of iron pipe is most desirable ... the long length cools the hot air from the compressor . This pipe should be ran on a slight downslope to insure the moisture and debris inside ends up in the trap .... running the pipe with switchbacks (zig-zagging but still keeping a slight slope) solves the problem of the space restrictions.
Avoid using galvanized pipe if possible .... the inside coating flakes off and causes all kinds of problems.
And keep in mind the attachment from compressor to pipe should be a flexible hose .

Just my .02 cents ..... Looking great!

So you mean something like this:

Dave
chevy

Last edited by Teamchevy; 11/16/10 07:48 AM.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Refering to the arrangement you should make the intermediate branches come off the top then drop down. This forces 90% of the moisture to go to the drain on the end. It means a few extra fittings but with a lot of use wont be regretted.
Tony

tonyw #188740 11/16/10 08:53 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
The large pulley on the compressor side has curved spokes that act as the cooling fan. i have never seen a compressor without one. Without some good circulation, the compressor will cook. They get damn hot. I leave about 4" behind mine and it seems to be fine. If the belt is adjusted properly, you won't need to change it for years and when you do, you will need to pull out the compressor and remove the housing.

It's not how fast you can go, but how good you look at 20 MPH.
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
[quote=Teamchevy

So you mean something like this:

Dave
chevy [/quote]

... or less! LOL

'59 Sedan Delivery, 70 Chevelle, '93 Corvette Anniversary Roadster .... and other stuff!
Rank #189165 11/20/10 08:49 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well, it took a couple of trips back & forth to the hardware store, but I have my airline plumbed to the compressor. Had a couple of air leaks, but after a few turns with the pipe wrench, they're gone. Now...what's next...yeah, get the fittings installed on some air tools so I can try them out!! wink

Dave
chevy

Some guy installing the pipe (she didn't tell me she had the camera ready!):

Compressor end:

The whole run, about 18 ft total:

The business end!:

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Dave
I note you have branched the outlet off the top of the main line and placed it near the door, I very much doubt you will be sorry for either decision.
Well done.
Tony

tonyw #189372 11/22/10 04:26 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by tonyw
Dave
I note you have branched the outlet off the top of the main line and placed it near the door, I very much doubt you will be sorry for either decision.
Well done.
Tony

Thanks Tony!

Dave
chevy

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Well done! I just noticed you are 'up the line' from me.

It's not how fast you can go, but how good you look at 20 MPH.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by shawng
Well done! I just noticed you are 'up the line' from me.

Thanks Shawn!

Dave
chevy

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.