Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Started the '49 up with the '52 motor in it just to run it for awhile. After about 15 minutes with all the gagues at normal, I looked under the hood and saw the bottom radiator hose was colaptsed. Shut it down to check the water level and didn't get any pressure when I took the cap off. Radiator was full of water and hose filled out again. Started it again and same thing. Would this be the thermostat sticking shut even though the water gauge was on normal? It was not boiling. Was about 40 degrees in the shed.

I think I'm a fairly wise person because I'm smart enough to realise I'm not too bright.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
When I replaced my radiator hoses, the lower hose had a coiled wire inside the hose to prevent it from collapsing.

Bob

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
49 radiators are not pressurized.

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
OK. Thanks guys. Guess I'd better get the right bottom hose. blush

I think I'm a fairly wise person because I'm smart enough to realise I'm not too bright.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I recently bought a new lower hose made by Gates and was told that they beefed up the reinforcement so no longer but wire coils in them. If that is true finding the a hose with wire coil might prove to be tough. In my case I took a coil from an old hose and put it in. Have had the pump try to pull more water than radiator will flow and that partially collapses the lower hose.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thanks Chipper. I'm sure I got the one from the '49 motor some place in the shop so will check for it tomorrow. Will use that if it has a spring and in good shape.
Also learned how to spell collapses tonite. haha

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yep, and gagues is spelled "gauges". bigl

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Do people know that the "SPELL CHECK" on their computers also work on this forum??????

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Darn, should of thought of that. blush Too much Jagermeister I guess. drink laugh

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The lower hose I purchased .... with the spring inside, came from NAPA. However, it was 3 years ago or so.

Bob

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thanks Bob. I'll try them next week. Don't want to put a used one on.

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Got the new lower radiator hose from the Filling Station and installed. Filled with antfreeze and started it up. The hose didn't collapse but the temperture got real hot. Shut it off to see if the thermostat was faulty and here is what I found.

[Linked Image from i227.photobucket.com]

I put about 20 miles on the motor and ran it maybe another 2hrs and never heated until I put the new hose on. I'm thinking someone left this rag or rope in the motor as I got it as an extra with the car or it was pushed up in the radiator and I didn't see it when I installed it. The thermostat worked in hot water so I restalled it and added antifreeze. Didn't run long and the motor overheated again. Took it apart again but nothing in the thermostat so I'm guessing maybe the water pump or some other place is plugged with more junk. Going to let it sit until it warms up outside and then back flush everything with a water hose. Oh yes, I had to adjust the spring in the hose so I looked in both ends and didn't see anything in the hose. Will have an update later. Might even put it back together again without the thermostat and see if the antifreeze is circulating at a decent pace.

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Ain't you glad that someone put the rag in the bottom of the radiator to keep mice and trash from getting in the radiator?
I usually just use duct tape and steel wool.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
It's hard for me to believe that there was something in the radiator because how did it get through the water pump in one piece? Maybe it could. All I did was take one hose off and put the other one on. I put the thermostat in some water and put on the stove to open it up and get the junk out.

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Went out there and used a water hose to back flush the motor as another guy watched and then the radiator and nothing came out. Put water in with out the thermostat and started it up and it over heated again. After supper I took the water pump off and it was clean. I then drilled a little hole in the hose and as water was back flushing the engine put air into the water hose and did the same to the radiator. I wasn't by the car when I did this so after shutting the water off went and looked under the car and saw some junk under the car. Don't know if it came from motor or radiator but filled with water and no thermostat and the heat gauge only raised about 1/4 up and stayed there so I'm OK but will flush once more tomorrow just to make sure everything is out. Plan on putting the 160 degree thermostat back in. I did remember to drain the car so it doesn't freeze tonight. laugh

Last edited by jerrygolf; 03/18/11 10:22 PM. Reason: To delete about pressure cap

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.