Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
XBTC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Color me stupid on this one, but I've tried every which way I can, and I can't figure out how the headlight assembly goes together.
When I got the car, someone had put a poor sealed beam conversion kit on it, so I'm not sure of the order of assembly.
Could someone please tell me how to put this thing together!
A couple of my problems are:
1) What is the purpose of the inner ring? Does it hold the lens to the reflector?
2) Does the small lip on the inner ring go to the front or the back?
3) What holds the outer chrome ring on?
4) Does the gasket go between the lens and the reflector and if so, why is it so big?
Help me! Help me! stressed
Thanks!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
The inner ring and the large gasket don't seem like part of the original assembly, maybe they are part of the sealed beam conversion. The lens is held in place in the outer chrome ring by 3 spring clips. The gasket fits around the outer rim of the reflector. There are two tabs on the bottom of the outer chrome ring, one is threaded for a screw that tightens it on the body of the headlamp.

If you have old Chevrolets, other old Chevrolets will find out where you live.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Actually, the above description is not entirely correct for 1929-1930. There is a large inner ring and a large cardboard gasket. The glass lens goes on the bezel first, and then the large cardboard gasket. Next, the large inner ring is installed into the bezel with the two tabs going down through the slot in the bottom of the bezel. Then, the whole assembly is installed onto the headlight bucket outer rim and a small "through bolt" is inserted into the two tabs sticking out the bottom of the bezel and then it is tightened, thus clamping the bezel and lens assembly tightly around the headlight bucket.

laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
XBTC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks guys, I appreciate it ... I think I've got it now!
What was confusing me was that I thought the inner ring held the glass lens to the reflector. Oviously, wrong again!
It seems so clear now ... duh!
Thanks again!! laugh

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Cool! wink laugh dance

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Thanks for that correction there JYD, guess you can tell my brain is programmed mainly for 1931.
It's like my browser stopped working after I tried to download a new one from Yahoo.

If you have old Chevrolets, other old Chevrolets will find out where you live.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Man, I know how that is because I have been there and done that......more than once!

drink

The Mangy Old Mutt

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.