I have my Dad's 66 Chevy 1 ton. The other day I was enjoying working on it and I was letting it idle when I noticed that the temp guage was on hot. I shut it off immediately.

After it cooled down I opened the radiator and saw oil in the engine coolant. I didn't have time to get back to it until today (Oct. 24). I checked the oil pan and there was about 12-16 ounces of water in the oil pan. Everything is drained now because I have another project in front of it and won't be able to pull the head for at least a week.

I've seen a number of head gasket failures and usually either 1) water leaks out between the head and block, 2) exhaust gets into the cooling system, 3) water gets in the oil, or 4) oil gets in the water. This is the first time I've seen both water in the oil and oil in the water.

I hope it's just the head gasket - it should be evident when I get the head off. I'm hoping it's not a cracked head. The engine was running fine when I shut it down.

Does anyone have any experience with this 'dual' problem of oil in the water and water in the oil?

Thanks,

Lee Prairie