Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#175090 06/06/10 07:10 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
The horn on my 1966 chevelle SS just stop working. I checked voltage at each horn and they work.
Is there a way of checking to see if the horn relay is working.

Thanks
Tony

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by all_my_chevies
The horn on my 1966 chevelle SS just stop working. I checked voltage at each horn and they work.
Is there a way of checking to see if the horn relay is working.

Thanks
Tony
Hi Tony,
I assume you tested both horns by unplugging them and jumpering a direct 12v from the battery and they are loud and proud<g>.
A quick horn relay test would be to leave both horns unplugged and push the horn button on the steering wheel while listening for a definite clicking sound coming from the horn relay.
If no click sound is heard,test all your under dash fuses.If all fuses are good I'd take a real close look under the steering wheel horn button assembly for any broken small spring,etc...Good luck,Jim

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Jim
Yes they are loud and proud. The horn relay looks old. I did replace the steering wheel and horn button last year with a 2 spoke sport wheel. The horns were working last week. The fuses are good. What I was thinking would be to pass 12v thur the horn relay (where the wire from the horn button goes to) then I'll see if I'll see if horns sound. I could either replace the relay or rule it out as the cause. What do you think of that idea.
Tony

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by all_my_chevies
Hi Jim
Yes they are loud and proud. The horn relay looks old. I did replace the steering wheel and horn button last year with a 2 spoke sport wheel. The horns were working last week. The fuses are good. What I was thinking would be to pass 12v thur the horn relay (where the wire from the horn button goes to) then I'll see if I'll see if horns sound. I could either replace the relay or rule it out as the cause. What do you think of that idea.
Tony

Hi Tony,
Did you try unplugging the horns and pushing the steering wheel horn button?If the relay clicks you will be accomplishing the same thing as you are suggesting with your pass 12v thru the relay. Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (modiol, 1 invisible), 63 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.