Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
langer Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I am rebuilding my 29 chev original engine, straight 6. I see in the Service manual the recommendations for proper torque is, "tighten evenly". To those who have done this before do you have any recommendations for torque and gaps for the following components: rod bearings, main bearing, end gap on the rings and the head torque? Tighten evenly does not seem to be sufficient.
Thanks for your assistance.

Erik Langhofer
Phoenix, Az.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
langer,

Bill Barker has collected a load of info on rebuilding and restoring these old engines and cars. Although his site is primarily aimed at the 1931, much of the info is applicable to other years. Here is the link to the torque settings:

http://1931chevrolet.com/torque.htm

The home site link is:

http://1931chevrolet.com

Just be warned, that the old head bolts may stretch when torquing them back down. New bolts would be recommended. The Filling Station, I think, carries them.

Good luck with your project,

Dan

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
When I removed my head all unlocked at 60 foot lbs
hope that helps, no info on the rest

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
If you are using the original head bolts, then 60 pounds torque is an excellent torque spec. to use and that should be the maximum torque that you would want to use. Some dudes prefer to only go 50 pounds on used head bolts instead.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.