Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can anyone help with modern paint mix numbers for the wheel colors used on 1935 Master cars? I'd like to find the correct modern match for Sealing Wax Red, Danube Green (Light) and Medium Cream.

Thanks,

Mike B :)

Mike Boteler
1935 Master Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Back in the 70s, VCCA tech advisor for paint and finishes, Wayne Martin, converted old paint colors to modern (at the time) paint codes. These were published in the G and D as a regular feature as he would complete a year of codes. I used this info to select the Blue for my '35 Standard, it was a '71 Opel color, as I recall.
I don't know if these articles are indexed anywhere, but it would have been in 1975 or early 1976 that I chose my color. My old issues of the magazine are packed away and I don't really know where they are so I'm afraid I can't find the info for you. I did not use Wayne's info to paint my wheels. A friend was painting his wheels yellow and offered to paint mine at the same time so I agreed, knowing they would not be the right color.
What's odd is that I came to this section of the site to ask the same question so I can correct my wheel color. That's when I saw your post. My situation has one more wrinkle. I am in the powder coating business and I want to coat my wheels. When the correct color is identified, I will still have to search for a powder that matches.
I hope someone has some helpful suggestion as to finding those old G and D articles.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Sealing wax red was close to a 59 to 65 VW color , OEM code L53. I amm reading off the paint can and in PPG Concept single stage the number would be 71025. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 61 vert; 04/30/10 12:57 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
61 vert,

What are you using as a reference to know that the VW paint color is a match for Sealing Red Wax? Do you have a color chip?

Mike B

Mike Boteler
1935 Master Technical Advisor
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I think that I got that info from Mr. Bancroft,#4849.Been awhile and I didn't write it down.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I have used http://autocolorlibrary.com/ in the past to assit with finding modern colors for older colors.

If you are considering using the RED Wheels from 1935, I painted mine with 1963 Impala Red and they looked very close to chips that I had at the time. This was the bright red color, not the darked metalic red.

Member 45+ years, been around since the beginning !

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.