Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oreo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm new to the enclosed drive shaft world (all my experience has been with open u-joint drive shafts) so is there any tricks to removing the enclosed torque tube set ups? Does rear end have to be removed from springs or is there an easy method I just don't know about?
Thanks for helping a beginner here!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
hi try chevrolet service news it will tell you everything you will need tip it in just like it is.

35Gene
Oreo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is the Service News on line somewhere specifically? there were millions of entries when I tried google.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
You don't need to remove the rear end. Assuming you need to access the engine, clutch or transmission (and not remove the entire torque tube), just open up the housing at the rear of the trans that has the u-joint in it. Loosen the gland nut at the rear of this housing and slide it down the torque tube towards the rear end. That exposes the u-joint that can then be removed. The transmission can then be removed as needed too. The housing is filled with oil, so be prepared to catch it.

Oreo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Sounds simple enough. Thanks!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Its not quite that simple on 1933-1936 Standards. To remove the transmission, etc, on the Standards the shop manual (notr Service news) will tell you its necessary to pull the rear end on these models (unbolt axle fron springs and move rear end/torque tube back). This is due to the fact that the front and rear halves of the U joint was riveted together on the Standard models. The other models had bolts so the U joint could easily be split.
The experianced mechcanics years ago would chisel off the rivets on the Standard, making moving the rear end back unecessary. On assembly bolts would be used to fasten back together.

Gene Schneider
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Gaaak! I hate when that happens. I had my "Master" hat on when addressing a Standard issue. I apologize for the confusion.

Oreo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thanks for the feedback - I sometimes wish I never bought the Standard - so many nuances, different parts, etc. Oh well, at least the car isn't rusty. Can't wait to loosen the rear end to get at the clutch.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.