Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
langer Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Any suggestions as to where a person can pick up a radiator for a 29? Would it be better to post this in the classifieds?

Erik Langhofer
Phoenix, Az.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Try The Filling Station in Lebanon, OR. And Yes to your second question. Use the Parts wanted.

chevy

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Filling Station does have a honeycomb core for your 1929, but it is the core only. You will need to furnish the top and bottom tanks. The current price for the core is listed in their catalog at $975.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
131 Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I purchased a core from the filling station about 6 months ago, with shipping it was $1050, after paying the radiator shop to dismantle the old radiator and recore it I had about $1400 invested in my new radiator. It sounds like alot of cash, anything but a honeycomb wouldn't look right on a 29. The guys at the radiator shop were very impressed with the quality of the core from FS, they said they would recommend them in the future. They are a well established shop (since 1984), and even with all thier contacts and knowledge of the trade, they could not find a honeycomb core anywhere in the word for less $$$ than the filling station. Sorry to get longwinded here but I would also caution you not to buy a used radiator unless the seller is absolutely sure it is good. I purchased 2 used radiators before ordering the new core. Both looked great upon visual inspection, and both held water when filled, however both were full of sediment and scale and both leaked worse than my original when heat and pressure were added to the equation. Trying to avoid buying the high dollar core ended up costing me more because I have 2 leaky radiators on the shelf and still had to spend the cash for the new core. Hope my recent adventure aids you in your decision. I have extra tanks and bracketry around the shop if you are starting with nothing.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
i too bought a core for my 30 from the FS last year.
nicest piece of copper i ever seen. i did the recore myself and it came out nice. i was alittle worried about it getting damaged in shipping but the box was lined with plywood with white foam all around the core. when i pulled my tanks apart there was alot of rust sitting in the bottom of the tank and just about row in the old core was clogged. after i did the recore i pressure tested the core with 10psi and it held pressure fine.
so do yourself a favor and don`t try to fine a "good" used one.
to me this was money well spent for the piece of mind of over heating.

langer Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the information to all that posted. Great advice and I will take it. Really appreciate your input.

Erik Langhofer
Phoenix, Az.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.