Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I have the 3704230 PG 3.55 speedo gears to put into my 3 speed transmission because there is a 3.55 differential in the car. However, the driving gear was supplied with the front spider of the universal joint. I need to remove the gear from the spider. Any suggestions? Is it a press fit? Will heating it free it? Or do I need to drive out the splined receiver and then press out the gear?

Also looks like I need to make a bushing for the gear as the i.d. of the gear looks to be 1 1/4 inches and is larger than the 1 inch diameter of the 3 speed main shaft.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Its a press fit and probably need a bearing spliter to fit around the gear to press it off. This was commonly done year ago when the U joint was replaced.
Yes, it will require some kind of bushing to make it work.
Is the length of the driven gear and its fitting the same length for both the PG and stick?

Gene Schneider
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thanks Gene! The driven gear lengths are the same. The spacer to the rear of the driving gear will have to be modified because this particular 5 tooth gear is thicker (3/32) than the 4 tooth gear it replaces.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.