Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
When I purchased my '31 Coach, the original Header Board had been replaced with a plain 3"x3/4" wide pine board (no regulator gears etc), but with the original steel upholstery trim retaining piece re-fastened to it.
As well a home made 3/4" square additional piece was mounted above it secured to underside of front roof rail, by 5 screws and 2 bolts at each end into t-nuts on top of roof rail.
I purchased (eBay) what I was told was an original '31 Chev header Board complete with regulator gears etc. The one I purchased however is about 3/8" or so shorter than mine should be, and is about 3&1/4" wide. It is about 5'8"thick hardwood. It also has 3/8" bolt headed screw protruding from the top a couple of inches in from each end, and in a 1/4" recess.
My questions:
1. Did I likely buy an earlier header board, perhaps 1930 or '29. If so, other than length, are there other differences as I may have to make one to suit my car, what are the 3/8" boltheaded screws for, what do they attach to. I am aware the wiper control rod needs to be clear of the top of this board.
2. What is nature of the additional piece that goes above the Header board. Specifically what dimensions, does it do anything other than act as a means of bolting down the front rail, is the headlining fixed to it? and wiper control bracket mounted to it? Is it spaced slightly above header board to allow clearance for wiper control rod, or is it notched? Thanks a bunch.
A picture would be worth a thousand words.
Gunsmoke.

at each end.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I just installed my recovered windshiled regulator board two weeks ago.
I could have taken some pictures. I measured my board and it is about 42 and 1/2 inches long with the fabric covering.
I had hex bolts screwed into the wood at each end. There was one bolt on the underside of the wood attached to the car at the center. The bolts didn't attach to anything. I think they were there to allow a space for the wiper control and keep the board parallel. I also suspect that the bolts can be adjusted to help the widshield glass seat better on the rubber.
Like lowering one edge to close up a gap at the bottom edge of the glass.

I have the sketches from hampton coach that shows the assembly if that would help you. Also there are some images in the fisher body service manual page 119

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Gunsmoke, I have some pictures that I took when I was restoring my 31 coupe. If you send me a PM with your email address I can email some pictures to you. The two end screws are machine screws and they screw into the metal brackets at the end of the windshield header. Let me know if I can help. Good luck. :vcca:

Sal Orlando
Chat Group Region Member
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thanks for advice. My header board is only 41 3/4 " long, 3/4" shorter than Randor's and likely from an earlier model. Interestingly, I bought it out of Tennessee, and it came with an original very worn mohair fabric, and what appeared to be an original thin aluminum "business card sized" sleeve fixed to the board by 2 small brads, and stamped into the back "General Motors of Canada" used likely to hold a dealer card. Sal, I sent you a separate email for the pics. Cheers.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The 1929 and 1930 windshield regulator board measures 41 3/4" long. The windshield regulator board in my all original 1932 measures 41 1/2" long.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
If the hardware, gears, etc are the same for 1930 and 1931 maybe you can use them and just buy a new piece of wood?

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
I will likely make a new one. The one I have is a 1930 (41 3/4), will give me a guide, and Sal sent some great pics of a new '31 one. The gears I have should fit, but they are not operable (need crank shaft, handle, some other work such as pot metal fasteners broken, etc), so I will be installing regulator "as is" for now, a future project to address. I gather the FS rebuilds them, so may go that route down the road. Cheers

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Randorchev, you indicate your headerboard is 42&1/2" long, including molding on ends. How wide is it, and what model are you installing it on. Sal advised me his '31 Coupe took a 41&1/2" board (1" shorter)which was 2&3/4" wide? Is it possible different boards were used between coupe/sedan models (unlikely) or between American and Canadian cars?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The coupe and sedan models both used the same windshield regulator, and the regulator board in both the 1931 and 1932 models were 41 1/2" long.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Interesting? The distance inside to inside for my top hinge brackets is 42&1/2"and about 42&1/4 from edge of trim at edge of door opening. A 41&1/2" board will leave about 3/8" clear at each end, reduced somewhat by the upholstery. Does the upholstery piece above the door go in first to close this gap? Is the overall finished product supposed to have a snug fit?

Based on your wisdom, I will first try salvaging the old '30 unit. I can reduce it's width by 1/2" and adjust top edge where hardware sticks above board. It is 1/4" longer and that may be OK, but if I have to take 1/8 off each end so be it. As for mounting hole locations, I will fill in and redrill to match my plates. Would love to use the 80 year old piece if I can. My car is Canadian eh, so some of the subtle differences may be due to just that.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.