Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#149964 08/17/09 01:31 PM
broo102 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have been struggling for months now on trying to align my hood.
I bought new springs & hinges.
It still will not sit down in the rear, near the windshield,
Do I have the wrong year hood? If so, how does one tell?
Any help by someone who knows this car would be appreciated!
Broo

Blessings
Bru
Deut. 7:12
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
There should be an adjustment to the hinges on the hood. If the range of adjustment is not sufficient the hood may have been bent in the past. You can try to open the hood as far as I will go and then push up a bit bending the hinges. That will lower the back of the hood. Be careful not to over do it as bending them back is much more difficult.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Broo,
Loosen the rear hinge bolts(closest to the fire wall)this will drop the hood down when closed so you no longer will have to push down on the corners of the hood.If you still need more,after tightening rear loosen and raise the front of the hinge.
Basically,you want to tilt the hood hinge down at the rear,up at the front .There is a small up/down adjustment on the hinge to fender bolts most are not aware of to accomidate this.
If your side to side and front to back hood adjustments good then the rear height of hood adjustment should finish it off.
Whatever you do,please do not force,tweak or bend the hinges out of frustration.It will be virtually impossible to get a show car quality alignment of hood to fender then.
Jim

broo102 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
OK I'll try the adjustments again because I did both up & dn adjustments. Maybe not in the right order?
If this is a 69 hood, would that make a difference? Is there a way to tell the difference?
thanks alot guys
Broo

Blessings
Bru
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
broo102,
I've noticed that my 68 Camaro hood will kreep up just about an 1/8" or less when I close it. I just got the car and it's on my list of things to do. I have a thought that the hinges are aftermarket and not as sturdy as the original. I will try the tip given by jimpala70.

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
broo102 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
rgwiz
Yea, my hinges are from the car shop, Im sure they are after market; they seem a lil "tinier" if you know what I mean.
my hood is at least 1/2" too high.
Let me know how it comes out. I dont live where the El C is garaged so I cant jump on it when I want.
I think the hood might be a 69?
Broo

Last edited by broo102; 08/18/09 09:00 PM.

Blessings
Bru
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by broo102
OK I'll try the adjustments again because I did both up & dn adjustments. Maybe not in the right order?
If this is a 69 hood, would that make a difference? Is there a way to tell the difference?
thanks alot guys
Broo

Not sure about any differences in the 68-69 hoods,broo.
The weak link in the factory hinges are the undersized rivets used at the pivot points.
FWIW,I have had fantastic service/results having 2 pairs of hinges rebuilt over the years by SMS Auto Hinges in Champlain,NY.Incredible is how I would describe the difference before/after.Here's a link if you are interested.
Jim
http://www.sms-auto.com/smsauto/public/en/index.html

broo102 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the link, looks pretty good

Blessings
Bru
broo102 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I tried a least a 1/4 " shim between hood and front bolt and Also tried loosening fender bolts & lifting hood all I could. not much help.

Any one have any other ideas?
Broo

Blessings
Bru
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I tried a few things but I found placing a washer under each of the cowl mounting screws to raise the cowl help enough for now. I used S/S washers.

I've got a few more pressing issues to deal with first and will get back to the hood later.

Current rides;
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by broo102
I tried a least a 1/4 " shim between hood and front bolt and Also tried loosening fender bolts & lifting hood all I could. not much help.

Any one have any other ideas?
Broo

Broo,
When the hood is closed,can you press the hood down on each rear corner to level it with the fender?If yes,then you have sloppy hinges and they should be rebuilt.Do not waste your time looking for NOS hinges,many were sloppy when new.A hit and miss proposition at best,imo.

I don't understand why you'd shim btw the hood and hinge top?
Leave those 4 bolts tight,slightly loosen the 4 lower hinge to fender bolts.Have someone hold the hood up as high as it lift at the front and tighten the rear 2 bolts.Close the hood see how it looks.If good carefully raise the hood back up and tighten the 2 front hinge to fender bolts.If the hinges are good and fenders are not way out of alignment this should work.Good luck,Jim

broo102 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I put shims there cuz it was the remedy on chevelle tech. It lowered the back of the hood a bit, but I don't think having 3/8 " of shims is good.
Yes, I can push the hood down manually, but these hinges & springs are NEW, as weak as they are. They are reproductions.

I tried your suggestion already, no help- but I think the fenders might be out of alignment; they have defintely been moved in their lifetime.

I looked up rebuilt hinges- $300!!!

I'll try your suggestion again though. Cant get to it for 2 weeks.
Thanks & I'll keep you posted.
Broo

Blessings
Bru
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
jimpala70,
This explanation I totally understand. It makes good sence to me. Sounds as though the hood is pulled down at the rear of hinge and where ever at the front of the hinge.
I'm gonna try it.
Thinking it over, I don't have a lot of spring (pop) at the front latch. That alone should have been a tip off that the back of the hood is high.
Thanks, let u know.

Current rides;
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
broo102 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I just found out that the after market hinges are the problem. I guess I will elongate the holes
Broo

Blessings
Bru

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.