Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#146570 06/30/09 08:01 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Sorry, but I just have to share this with those that will understand:

I finally finished the rebuild of the Dubonnet shocks on my '37 Sports Coupe. Being somewhat "frugal" (i.e. "cheap"), I wasn't about to pay close to $1200 for something I could do myself. I wound up having to turn new bushings on my lathe and milling out the cross-shaft bore to provide room for a lip seal to replace the original, leak-prone packing. I got it all back together and drove it for about 200 miles or so over our pot-hole riddled NYS roads and......no leaks !! It also rides better than it ever has. Total cost was under $100 and some time was lost in having to make special tools for disassembly & re-assembly, but there was also a lot of fun in overcoming the challenges as they were presented.

At the same time, I completely overhauled the brake system with new drums, wheel cylinders, brake lines and a dual master cylinder. All work quite well.

It was a lot of work, but the satisfaction of a job well done is immeasurable, at least to me.

Just thought I'd share my pleasure with like-minded, understanding souls. Now back to your regulary scheduled program......

-BowTie Bob
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Bowtie Bob--A job well done, especially by yourself is very gratifying, not to mention the fact you saved $1100.

hoppy

"Four-Doors-Forever"
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Bob, This gives me some incouragement for when I take mine apart!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bowtie Bob,

Congratulations on your work. We all love to hear about this! Many of us are facing the same challenge and hope to follow your leadership: any more details that will help us over some of the hurdles you surmounted are appreciated.

I plan to do the same as you even though I do not have a lath, I have a drill press and expect to higher any machine shop tasks I cannot handle myself (I think I will still save money this way).

No more "Bob, bob, bobby along?"

Mike
Enjoy!!!

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I counter-bored the cross shaft bore for the lip seal on a friend's milling machine. It was a little difficult holding the body to make sure the counter-bore was square, but it can be done. Figuring the counter-bore depth and actually milling it was the most difficult part of the job. There are also a couple of special tools that you will need to fabricate, but they are fairly simple to make.

If I can provide any help, PM me and I'll be glad to do so. Initially, I planned on writing a technical article, but was told by a member not to bother because one had been written, so I didn't bother as I felt with that attitude there probably wouldn't be enough interest to justify the time spent.

-BowTie Bob

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.