Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#145771 06/16/09 11:19 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am in the process of geting my original 216 block ready to be boiled out and ready for a rebuild and seem to be stuck on a couple things in the disassembly.

How do I remove the oil pump? What looks to be the "bolts" that are holding it to the block have round heads. Is there a special tool or some secret as to how to remove these round headed bolts. no, these are not just stripped out bolts. They actually have round heads.

The other area I am stuck is getting the Cam out. I have the crank out and now have the cam loose but it does not seem to want come out. Do I need to press out the cam bearings some how or will it come out if I tap it with a small hammer?

I know.... these are probably some pretty basic questions, but this is my first attempt at this. i have read through the shop manual and have not been able to find these details 9probably too basic).

Thanks
Tim

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Service manual says that the oil pump is held in by a set screw with a lock nut.
The camshaft is held in by a retainer plate that is behind the cam gear. It you turn the cam slow and look through the larger holes in the gear you will see the bolts. Take the 2 bolts out and the cam will slide out.

Good Luck
Don

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
The screw and lock nut that hold in the oil pump is on the outside of block directly below the distributor. losen the lock nut and then remove the screw, then the oil pump will slide out .

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have the retainer plate removed from the block. The probelm with the cam is it seems that one of the lobes can not pass through the foremost bearing in the block. I'm heading back out this morning to try again. As for the oil pump, I did see a bolt on the inside that is probably what is holding it in. That "mystery" should be solved.

Thanks

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I'm not sure but once the distributor is out and oil pump is out the cam might be able to be removed.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I got them both out. End up the cam just needed a little persuasion with a hammer to get it to go through. The oil pump was as easy as described above.

The block is off to be boiled out and checked.

Thanks
TIm

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.