Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#141938 04/26/09 02:08 PM
rck46 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I noticed on one of the recent posts that Chevgene provided a proceedure for setting the timing on a '40. This proceedure was to set the timing so the pointer lines up with the ball on the flywheel and then advance the timing 4 marks on the octane selector. Would the same recommendation apply for the '37?

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
You can go up to 8 Deg extra advance on 1933 and up engines. The base timing was for the low octane fuel at the time the car was made. Read either the shop manual or owners manual about use of the octane selector. The octane selector allowed the owner to adjust the timing to the grade of gas being used with out the use of a timing light.
I would say that the octane selector is the most misunder stood feature on the Chevrolet engine.
If you doo advance the timing too far you will know it. The starter will have trouble turning the engine over when hot.

Gene Schneider
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

If set too far in advance the engine can recoil back and in some cases break the Bendix. If you hit the starter and it fights back, it is advanced too far. Retard until it turns easily and starts immediately.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Since this topic is discussing engine timing on a 1937, I have one that is somewhat related. I wasn't paying close attention when my engine was removed (by several club members) and didn't mark the flywheel when it was taken off. It's time to replace it andI'm not sure how to correctly position it. The manual states that "the four nuts, in addition to holding the flywheel in place, also acts as dowel pins to locate the flywheel"---exactly what does that mean? The manual goes on to say "Another dowel pin, pressed into the flange of the crankshaft serves to properly locate the flywheel in its correct position before the bols are assembled in place." I cannot find a dowel pin on the crankshaft.

Any ideas??

Thrasher

Thrasher
rck46 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
If my memory is correct I believe the flywheel mounting holes are not symmetrical and the flywheel can only be mounted in one position on the crankshaft.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Is there a dowl pin hole on the crankshaft flange. It will be much smaller than the four bolt holes. The dowl may have been removed. Should also be a small matching hole in the flywheel.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
That is a good possiblity--I will have a better idea next week when I take the motor off the engine stand and start the reassembly process. Thanks for helping!

Thrasher

Thrasher
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Gene,

There is a fifth hole on the flywheel and for the life of me, I can't find anything on the crankshaft to align it with. My wife likes to constantly remind me, "You're no mechanic." I'm sure it will all come together when I start putting parts back together.

Thrasher

Thrasher
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bingo!!!

I have been haunted by a mystery for many years about my 1948 Chevy 216 engine (I am using it as a driver for my 38 Chevy while I am rebuilding my 1938 Chevy original engine). After rebuilding the 1948 engine it ran perfectly. But the next summer I was on a trip from Boston to Dayton Ohio when the cam shaft gear (nylon) lost all its teeth on I80. I had to tow her home. When I asked the machine shop to press on the new Nylon gear they dropped my cam shaft and bent it. They were honest enough to let me know and said they would try to straighten it. I was never sure if they did, but they said it was straight when they returned it to me with the new gear (today, I would never let anyone do anything on the car I could do myself).

I began to experience a failure to start the engine when it got hot. It would always start perfectly when cold. Sometimes when hot, I would get "lucky" and it would go around very reluctantly and hesitate and just start by the hair on its chinny chin chin, but oviously it was not happy and neither was I. Most other times I jsut plain had to wait til it completely cooled off to "dead cold" condition.

I began to think about what it could be and finally drew up a small list of possibilities that inlcluded:
1. A touchy starter that was totally unrelated to a "snow bird" and would just plain quit when the temperature got too hot. [???]
2. The cam had residual stress in it from the bend and straightening operations that was activated by temperature causing the cam to offer enough resistance to turning when hot that it would overwhelm the starter.

After this short list I was puzzled and was left scratching my head... until I read Gene's post..."If you doo advance the timing too far you will know it. The starter will have trouble turning the engine over when hot."...bingo is this it?

Please let me know more about this as I never suspected the timing being too far advanced. As far as I know the engine never complained (to me) about the timing I offered it for a setting. Sometimes the nylon pad on the points that makes contact with the 6 sided cam on the distributor shaft would wear I just would have to reset the points to proper gap.

Thanks for info that could solve a mystery that has been in my worst dreams for years. Would there be any other signs that the timing is too far advanced?

Mike

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Joe,
I looked at the new 1937-1939 crankshaft I have. The stud is quite large and mid-way between two of the bolt holes. If you lay the crankshaft so the stud is is to the top the key way for the balancer (up front) is on the bottom.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.