Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#131955 12/01/08 01:22 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I was at a Ford dealer buying break pads for my daily driver when a mechanic and I started in on restoring 'ol Chevy'. He stopped and walked to his tool box and pulled out a KMO-227 which is a long open-ended wrench marked, "Chev. 1939 Steering Worm Adj." on one side and Cr-V Steel on the other side. It also has Kent-Moore name along side the other lettering. The opening of the wrench is 1 and 9/16 inches. It is a bit narrow and flat, as if it were to fit in between a narrow opening.

Does anyone know exactly what this is used for, in addition to the obvious task related to adjusting the steering worm gear?
Will it work on my 38 Chevy?
Is it used to do adjustments on or off the vehicle?
Where is it used, on what nut (besides me)?

Thank you for you comments.

Mike

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The nut is used from 1939-48 steering gears including the knee-action and straight axle cars. The nut is for adjusting the worm shaft end play. The shop manual does not mention the special wrench but just says use a 1 9/16" wrench to turn the nut. The nut appears to be quite thin (in shop manual picutre)
The 1939 and up had the steering column gear shift so the complete mast jacket could not be turned as it could in previous years.(for worm adjustment)

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
ChevGene,

Thank you very kindly for the information. My shop manual (for the 1938) does not mention it and I take it this special tool may not be needed to do my overhaul for my steering gear. However, it was most kind of the mechanic to give it to me.

You are most kind to answer so many questions. It makes it a real pleasure to read this Post with your contributions. May God truly bless you.

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.