Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#130187 11/02/08 09:11 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm new to the forum and just sent my VCCA app. yesterday. The first of many questions: What is the best way to get the dents out of the gas tank as well as resolder the baffel? Do I grind the seam then reweld or is it possible to get the end off without cutting?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I would like to take this opportunity to say WELCOME! We are glad you have joined up with this site. You did a very smart thing to send off the application to VCCA. You will enjoy the G&D and use it for information and parts leads.

The accepted method is to cut a "C" opening in the top of the tank. This will allow for sand blasting, repair, and a close-up. BEFORE CUTTING THE TANK MUST BE CLEANED to avoid an accident. The top cut allows you to do the body work on the dents. After all of the repairs are made and it is closed up it needs to be lined with the red sealer.

COLORED SNOT

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I agree with the method of repair with the exception of the slushing compound. It is only necessary if the tank is rusted through in spots and many times causes more trouble now that gasoline is partially corn syrup. Some vintage tanks are being reproduced maybe that route could be explored. Good luck with your project. J

Last edited by J Franklin; 11/03/08 12:24 PM.

J Franklin
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I sent my 1936 tank to Gas Tank Renu. They open it, clean and reseal it with a lifetime warranty. First class overhaul... but not inexpensive.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.