Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
I picked up this AC S6 filter at a Swap Meet for ten bucks this weekend. By the black color I assume it was a factory installed unit but I was wondering what the lettering on the lid could tell me about the year???
http://image71.webshots.com/71/3/69/0/2286369000098611668FJpdqC_ph.jpg
I still haven't got the nerve to hook one of these up to my 216. 15lbs of oil pressure on the road and 5 or 6lbs at idle really gives me the jitters about stealing any oil pressure from the old gal.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Denny, For some reason the picture will not download....can you email it to me?

The 15 pounds of pressure goes to the mains only. On a full pressure engines the oil passes through the mains and travels through the crankshaft passages to the rods. More pressure is lost in the travel not to mention what is lost around the rod bearing clearence, etc. I would say that the 15 pounds the 216 gets to the mains would be equal to what a 30 pound full pressure engine gets to the mains.
A restrictor fitting is used in the oil filter installation and the hole in the fitting is very small. I have never seen any problems with the oil filter equipped engines nor any decrease in oil pressure.....all this and I have often thought of the pressure loss myself.
I do have a filter on my '50, it was dealer installed when the car was new. Back in the early '50's they pushed oil filters for hydraulic lifter equipped cars as sticky lifters were a problem. As the oils improved in the mis '50's the problem got less if the owners changed oil regulary.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
How is there any pressure lost at the rod brgs? This is a splash feed engine. Are you referring to the loss at the oil pan nozzles? I’ve heard many reports of additional pressure after adding an oil filter.

I’ve asked in many different venues if the tee in the block has a restriction in it and mostly gotten “I don’t knows” and a few who claim they knew and say that the tee is just a plain old 1/8-NPT brass tee fitting. The feed tube inside the canister is restricted by a small hole that I always thought was the only restriction in the circuit.

I’m sorry bout the link, I’m bout ready to dump Webshots and start using an album that I pay to use. Ever since the new owners took it over it had been getting worse by the week.

I reposted the link and it seems works now. Does your lettering look any where like what is printed on this one?
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2286369000098611668FJpdqC
I haven't seen any decals from any of the vendors that looks like this one.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/15/08 05:38 PM.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The reference to the oil pressure lost at the rod bearings pertains to a full pressure oiling system engine.
There is no way adding a filter would increase pressure. The pressure is taken from the main oil gallery on the side of the block. The pressure feeds the main bearings only. The filter oil supply is taken from that point Oil gauge lineconnection)) by a "T" fitting. There is plenty of supply and pressure at this point.
I finally got it to down load.
The filter probably was from a 1962 235 engine. They were standard equipment in 1962. First ever for a 6 Cyl. The filter has the more rounded dome top with the more shallow ridge around the outside. This lid change was made in about 1960 so it could have been a factory installed filter for 1960 or 1961 also. The blue and orange filter had the lid change at the same time. The dealer installed ones came in an blue box till about 1960 and then the box changed to white, about the same as the lid change.The early lid had the printing on the very outer raised part of the lid. This area is too narrow on the late style. That filter has a good example of the original stenciled lettering. If you would do an oil filter search Ray has a good shot of a late style orange and blue filter in the white box. I have a new 1955-58 filter in the blue box with the early lid.\
I do have factory (AC) mention of the restricted fiting but would take some digging to find it.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Wow, need to proof read a little better, should have read; ” I’ve heard many reports of additional pressure LOSS after adding an oil filter.” really sounds kind of stupid the other way, no?

Reason I questioned your comment about loss at rod bearings was that I just assumed we were talking about a 216 all along and didn't realize we had switched the discussion to the later 235 full pressure engines.

I’ll try digging through the archives and try to find information on the rest of your comments about the application and history. Never had much luck with any of the search engines here or any of the other forums that use this platform.

It would sure be nice to have a chronologically correct photo document of the AC oil filter history. Then these questions wouldn’t pop up every few weeks. Of course someone would have to put in quite a bit of effort to pull all the information together and then publish it and we would still run into the same problems that we do when it comes to the engine colors. It has been my observation over the past few years that there is a lot of misinformation about the AC oil filter. I’ve been back into the hobby now only a short time but it seems like every body has a different opinion on the years that the different models, colors and lettering were used, aftermarket vendors included. I think the only thing that is generally agreed upon is that the factory filters were black but then there are even differences of opinion on the lettering and cover style for those also.

Tks Gene,
DG

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Well thank you Ray, the two of you have given me a few more players for the chess board. Maybe one day I'll have all the pieces in place and will have a complete picture of the AC Oil filter story.
Thanks guys
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.