Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I recently purchased a NOS set of these things for a good price. Has anybody here used them, and there anything I should know before installing them.

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
No, I have never seen any.....how about clueing us in with some info & pics?

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
They are basically threaded rod with Steel Hooks and rubber bushings on the end. They are supposed to be used from the trans to the crossmember? to eliminate the first and reverse shakes You tighten them to reinforce trans/engine mount. They are official aftermarket GM Parts.

Drop io

password is chevrolet

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Ok, those I have seen on eBay but never needed them, let us know if they work, please?

Last edited by MrMack; 09/24/08 05:26 PM.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
It would be my pleasure. They should be here by friday, installed by saturday, and if they work, duplicated by sunday.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have a new set in the box if anyone else needs a set. Just trying to help!
Joe crazy

See Facebook Page for Joe Fuchs to see more pictures of my 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pickup
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hello Joe, long time no see, how are you?
Joe, do these tie rods work? or have you tried them?
I had some before I changed out the 54 transmission for the original 53, and a new clutch and pilot bearing, right after the SST to Branson.
I also changed the rear transmission mount and tightened the engine mounts. I suspected the engine mounts needed tightning when the exhaust flange nuts kept getting loose.

Last edited by MrMack; 09/25/08 12:38 AM.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Mack -
Hope all is well with you!
I don't know if they work. I bought a set for my pickup, but they will not fit on a pickup. The relationship between the transmission and the frame on a truck is different than a car, as you know. I finally replaced my motor mounts and that solved my problem, but the guy I bought these rods told me they worked well. You just have to have the right application. Of course!
Joe crazy

See Facebook Page for Joe Fuchs to see more pictures of my 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pickup
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I am doing about the same, we have cut back on driving to Arlington for LSR club meetings. Gas prices and the fact that I really don't like to see all that money going over-seas to some countries that don't like Americans anyway. We are also becomeing more involved with the car club in Comanche and our local church.
Iam trying to work more with the Chat Group here on ChatterII since it don't take any gasoline and there are also some good VCCA folks here from all around the globe, thanks to the ChatterII we can keep in touch and do some virtual tire kicking.

The Comanche Pow-wow is this Saturday and Sunday at the Comanche city park. We have a big classic car show with prizes and trophies and there is an antique tractor (Allis Chambers is the featured tractor this year)and lots of old engines (Maytag, Fairbanks & Morse and a lot of hit & Miss engines) along with crafts and food! come over if you need to see how rural folks celebrate! There will be a ranch rodeo Saturday night. the Barbeque cookoff is popular) some of the stuff will be going on Sunday. The car show is only Saturday.

We will spend our gas money going on cruises and tours!
If we didn't live 140 miles out we would still attend all of our LSR events, there are a great bunch of VCCA folks that belong to LSR.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I have yet to recieve my parts in the mail. I am getting quite ancy. Stupid parcel post. 2-9 days my butt. Going on 12. My ancyness has led me to prep the area, where I discovered how much better the car sounds/drives/accelerates/feels/is when your transmission mount bolts are tight too. They walked loose over the last 61 years some how :o I can't wait to get these rods on and see if I can back up without a single shake now. That is if that covered wagon that says USPS ever saddles up and makes it over here. I probably could have Jumped rope to Virginia and made it back before them.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Alright. They arrived this morning. 15 days after they should have been here, but whatever, thats water under the bridge now. These things are very simple to install. Took 20 minutes in the rain. Then the test drive. Keep in mind I have new engine/trans mounts in all corners. I am actually amazed that these little things work so darn well. No shutters at any speed. Even reverse! Motor even felt stronger, and the car in general feels much tighter. I know you are all thinking placebo. NO! Imagine a rocking chair going back and forth. Free to go all over the place. Now tie a rope to the arm rest and one to the back. Do it to the other side. Tighten them, and see how well it rocks. As for the motor feeling stronger, it seems more torque is actually being carried through the drive shaft, instead of being twisted about and lost. Not to mention, the vibration being carried through the foot feed and the steering column is reduced quite abit. If anybody wants a set, I can make these just like the ones I bought for no more than $25 a set. Also, in my first post, I said these were official Chevrolet. Incorrect. Nowhere on the box does it say official. I was just copying what the ebay lister had said.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Help! You left me here tied up in my rocking chair.
NO! Imagine a rocking chair going back and forth. Free to go all over the place. Now tie a rope to the arm rest and one to the back. Do it to the other side. Tighten them, and see how well it rocks.

devil Agrin

{Just kidding}.

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Then I would imagine you will come down with the rocking pneumonia. Quite possibley the boogie woogie flu.

Hey! Above, where you quoted me... If you only read that section, I sound like a wild eyed idiot lecturing a bunch of basket weavers at the nut house about rocking chair do's and don'ts. Chair-OSHA would be proud.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If you were getting vibration throught the foot feed and steering wheel you had another problem that is being covered up...Also its normal to have less clutch chatter in cold weather because the gear oil is thicker...none the less , keep us informed.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Been following this post for a couple of weeks now and I still can’t visualize what in the world you guys are talking about. Do you think you could post a picture, illustration, ad or something to clear this up for me??? I looked on ebay and couldn't find any listing at all fro "Clutch Anti Chatter Tie Rods".
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/08/08 05:52 AM.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Denny,
You just brought a thought to my mind. The torque tube Chevrolet cars always had a clutch chatter problem. This was a problem with most cars that had torque tube drive system. It would begin already when the cars were new. When the gear oil got hot and thin and the driver would begin to back-up you could hear what Chevrolet called gear rattle. As the miles piled on the the various clearences grew it would develope into clutch chatter. Was usually difficult to elminate. I can not remember the 1/2 ton 3 speed truck haveing the problem, at least not to any exent. I would guess that the stronger and less flexible truck motor mounts had some thing to do with it.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Mines a 3600 four speed Gene and it's sprung so stiff it's hard to tell what's normal rattles and what's not. I'd like to get into a 30's or 40's car for my next project and am building a file for it now. Thanks
Denny G.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Denny,
There is a photo link a couple of posts above this one. I haven't seen very many of these around, thats why I bought them the second I saw them on ebay. The auction ended on sept 21.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
There is another pair of these Clutch Chatter Tie Rod things on eBay right now. Just went on tonight and on for seven (7) days!
Joe crazy

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.