Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gnewt Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Hello Everyone

I'm new to chevy chatter II and this is my first post, i have been looking for a 49-54 chevy wagon for sometime, and then all of a sudden i'm contacted by two different gentlemen with two very similar wagons, so they both sent me their photos and i was just about to make a decision and then it hit me, i hadn't asked if the cars had clear titles, one answered no the other never replied back.

My question is, how do i purchase a vehicle located in another state that has been sitting for GOD knows how long, has no title, the plates on the car are still from another state (confused yet) and have it transported to California for restoration? and not have any problems later when i go to get the title and register the car in both of our names.

I know it's been done, i've seen it on television, read it in car magazines and even talked to people at car shows on how they bought their car from a farmers barn or field or even a junkyard and turned it into an award winner, but never provide any specific details.

My son and i were planning to restore the car together, and if i don't purchase a car soon i'm afraid i will loose him to the California streets, and this is my last ditch effort to do it right, so if there is someone out there that has knowledge of how to proceed with this type of purchase, i will be ever grateful, and just think you might just be helping out someone else with the same dilemma, not to mention you will have saved another precious classic car from the rath and decay of mother nature.

you may contact me at my email address: gemnewt@yahoo.com

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

best regards

gnewt/grease monkey

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Where there's a will, there's a way! I've bought several cars that were in the same title situation you describe and was always able to obtain a title. No question, it's always better to get the correct title and the lack of one should be reflected in the price. I've always gotten a notarized formal "Bill of Sale" as a starting point. Since you're in Calif, I would contact the Department of Motor Vehicles for guidance. There are some advertised entities that will convert your Bill of Sale to a title in their state and send you the necessary paperwork to obtain a title in your state. Check in "services offered" in Hemming Motor News for their contacts.

Good luck and welcome,

52Conv
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi,

Welcome to our site. We hope our actions will not disappoint you, and you will hang around. In the meantime, grab a chair there by the door, sit down and let's talk wagons (those that don't use horses.)

Not sure what story the two owners gave, but if it is a lost title they should be able to apply to their state and get a lost title. Do not accept anything from either owner less than a "Bill of Sale".

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

gnewt Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you, I dont know if i address you as gpallen, or 52conv, or even shade tree mechanic,this system has me a little baffled

is there a way that i can save your name in this forum system?, so i dont forget your advice, and just incase i would like to speak with you again on the matter, but its certainly up to you.
my best regards
gene newton or gnewt,or grease monkey, #7124

gnewt Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Ray

Thanks for responding, i would love to talk about Chevrolet wagons, i'm not sure you should be talking to me, being that you have 2 medals and 4k master antique mechanic approved Chevrolet raido technician next to your name, i don't know what all that means but it looks and sounds impressive.

I do have a question for you, why is it that you have a regular name and i have a name gnewt grease monkey #7124?, i don't mean any disrespect torwards your name but it would be alot easier to call me by my name gene.
Well Ray i'll throw this back to you for now.
my best regards
gnewt grease monkey #7142

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hang around gnewt, maybe some guru from Cal-e-forn-ia will break in and answer your question, have you considered moving?...of course not! I am in Texas and we can get a rebuilders title with an out of state Bill of Sale, after jumping thru a passel of hoops. I did that with a '51 I drug in from Kansas.

Well about Ray's real name, well Ray is his real name, kind-of! if I was to tell you his full name and where he is from, he would have to kill both of us! bigl
other than that he is OK!

Welcome to VCCA ChatterII!
I would encourage getting a 53 or 54 Chevy Station wagon and getting your boy involved in restoreing it. Now, I would like to ask you a favor to both of us,(me and you) Consider joining the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America. go to VCCA.Org and you will find information about our club, AND A BLANK APPLICATION FORM! If you enjoy old Chevrolets I am sure that check for the dues and the monthly magazine The Generator & Distributor is well worth the cost. If you don't believe me ...just ask Ray!

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
gnewt Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Mr. Mack

Are you an official from the VVCA welcome wagon trying to recruit new visitors to join the club?, or just a good ole boy who loves chevys and just wants the club to grow and prosper.
Thanks for the skinny on Ray, well if he's OK with you,then he's OK with me.
Mr.Mack i have a question for you, you know anything about Texas exports, ever delt with them?, i've emailed them about a 49 tin woody wagon and i get nothing no responses, it seems the people out there with cars don,t want to let them go.

Well Mr.Mack i'll let you go, it was sure nice talking with you
and i'll look into the membership site. Hey can you join the club before you own a chevy?
my best regards
gene gnewt grease monkey #7124

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Sure...you can join the VCCA without owning a vintage Chevrolet.

wink :) :grin:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
At least one of us has a Chevy that spends more time in the garage then it does on the road and it has nothing to do with being in mint condition either. Something about gremlins.... mad

Mac is just a good ol boy trying to keep the club membership up. There's lotsa good folks here that are more than willing to help.

I have however, been unsuccesful in getting them to paint my car though. I'll keep trying just the same. :grin:

Bill
gnewt Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you
rbl2
Oil Can Mechanic
I can see i'm in the right place, i have a good feeling about this site.
Is there a want ad site in any of the forums?

gene gnewt grease monkey #7124

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

YES, scroll on down to the "Parts for Sale" and "Wanted Section".

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Gene, where do you live in California? I live near San Jose. :) :) chevy

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
gnewt Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Hello Oscar

I live in a small desert town about 35 miles NE of Palms Springs
named Yucca Valley, I went to a friends wedding in 1974 in Milpitas,CA i'm a approx. 7 hour 450 mile drive from you.
gene

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
gene gnewt,
No I am not an official "Welcome Wagon" guy. I am a regular member of VCCA. I really think that anyone that has an itch of "fixin' up" an old Chevrolet can't do any better than joining VCCA.

I don't want Chevy fans to join VCCA just to increase the membership count, but because they will find what they need for that itch, and to meet and talk to others that have had the itch for many moons. I do want the club to grow, by the way.
It has been a good thing and a enjoyable place for me.

No, you don't need to have a Vintage Chevrolet to join...just have that itch!

Welcome Aboard the ChatterII site,
all you have to do to get help here is ..to ask! the shout box is a good place to start and to ask questions....

We do have a thing about using foul langusge and other impolite stuff, we try to keep this site so that you won't worry about your spouce or your kids and grandkids being embarrased (You don't even have to pass a spelling test)

Take a self guided tour around the site, (Forum List) and to see what is going on at the moment check out the Active List and click on Past 24 hours.... we won't bite!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Well said MrMack and I will say it again that without the help of all these wonderful Chevy people I would be still looking at my truck trying to figure out what to do with it. I could not have done it without the help of the VCCA. Thanks...Oscar ok ok ok

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Gee, everyone here is so nice. When are y'all gonna get together and paint my Chevy for me? :grin:

Hey, I can try, can't I? Agrin

Last edited by rbl2; 07/25/08 03:04 PM.

Bill
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hey rbl2, haven't you been trying for quite a while. Just brang it down here and I will paint your truck. Also brang a couple of those nice fine woodworking projects you have made. But before you leave I need for you to send me some pictures by email, so I'll know how much paint to buy, I don't want any pictures of the Chevrolet, I know what one of them look like, I want pictures of the woodworking items you will brang!...OK?

Oh! Brush or Powder Puff for the paint job, which do you prefer?.... that way I won't need to use any masking tape. Spray guns tend to really be nasty, don't you think?

gnewt Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
This is for anyone who wants to respond, does the VVCA ever have
conventions, parties or get togethers, I would bring my own beer of course. I'm a miller high life man myself.
gnewt

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

As soon as you receive your first copy of the G&D (generator and distributor)you will be amazed at the activities we have available at all levels from the individual up to the Anniversary Meets.

There is also a section here on Chat II that posts the current activities.

If you have not sent in a membership application, I suggest you have one ready for the mail man Monday morning.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
This is a wooden geared clock I made some years back. It kept time with a digital for several years until I went to Kosovo. Unfortunately, leaving "interesting" items with otherwise well meaning people is not always a smart thing to do. It still runs but I've never gotton around to repairing it. It's made of hickory.

[Linked Image from i5.photobucket.com]

This is a cup I made with black walnut.

This is a pine bowl. I made several and gave them to a friend with a family just to prove that pine can be durable. They do well as long as you don't put them in a dishwasher or allow them to soak in water

This was a cherry tree when I first saw it.

I made this civil war revolver for my son when he was 5 years old. He's 27 now. We still have the revolver.

This is a banjo and case I made for my older sister. Except for the padding and strings everything else is wood, including the hinges and lock.

This was an accident, design and all. I was teaching a lady how to use a lathe and as she finished with pieces I would stack them on the running board of my 26. After several pieces were stacked I saw a fair design and went for it. The wood came from S. America but I forget what kind it was.

My son collects knives and swords so I decided to make him some. The shadow box is made of chocolate pecan.

Here's the swords and sheaths out of the shadow box. The swords are about 2' long and sharp enough to cut paper. The sword blades are birds eye maple, the handles black walnut and the sheaths are also chocolate pecan, if I remember correctly.

I made this wishing well as a gift for my last girl friend. She has since past away. I'm told this was one of her prized possessions.

I built it as if it was the real thing. It has rafters, individual bricks, a drinking cup about 1/4" tall, the bucket wheel works, it has a spider web and a birds nest, etc.

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/rbl2/woodworks/Shanaswellwithweb2c.jpg[/img]

Even the shingles were individually made and put in place.

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/rbl2/woodworks/Shanaswellc.jpg[/img]

So Mack, when are you gonna paint my Chevy? And no you can't use brushes or powder puffs.

Last edited by rbl2; 07/25/08 09:56 PM.

Bill
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Sorry rbl2, The samples that you have show a real talent for working with wood luv2, but.....I was thinking more like a Cherry or Black walnut bedroom suite with a 4 poster canopy King size, bed and a nice double dresser and a 6 drawer chest of drawers and an entertainment center for a 46" Screen Tv. devil
bring it on down and we will think of something, by the way have you seen the $100 paint jobs for a car using a paint roller and TSC Implement enamel? Several of them look good enough to eat! bigl

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I can build a Cherry or Black walnut bedroom suite with a 4 poster canopy King size, bed and a nice double dresser and a 6 drawer chest of drawers and an entertainment center for a 46" Screen Tv. But if you're gonna paint with a brush pr a powder puff I'll build all that stuff with exterior grade 3/8" plyboard held together with twine and stained with black walnut spray paint. The closest you'll see to a wood joint will be some saw dust in a rolling paper. :o :grin:

I have a good spray gun and will most likely buy a good compressor. What I don't have is the skill or knowledge when it comes to body putty. There are no serious dents, just a few dings and signs of pitting under the paint.

My son can do a fair job of painting. The trick is to tie him down long enough to do it.

Bill
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I thought that mrMack was still using his Kirby vacuum to do his painting.

Interesting item the wood clock. We have a club member who made 5 of those clocks. Looks like it even came from the same pattern. The one he kept is still operating and keeps correct time.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Oh rbl2, I would have to charge extra for any dent removal, like maybe a nice light oak 3 door china hutch. bigl

Actually my painting outfit is a Kenmore cannister job I found in a dumpster with the cord cut off, I taped a new cord on and cleaned the spray gun (for spraying moth repellent) put a new hose clamp on the cloth hose, and Walla! a top of the line HVLP outfit!devil bigl bigl ok

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Thanks for the compliments.

I kept that clock running for years. It was one of thee few things I didn't lose when I went to Kosovo. Most everything I owned was stolen in my absence. They caught the man who stole it all and promptly dropped the charges to a $15 misdemeanor. mad

The only thing I lost when I went to Iraq was my 1946 Plymouth coupe. I paid someone to keep it for me and even talked to him occassionlly from Baghdad. In fact, I talked to him just 2-3 weeks before I got my million dollar wound that sent me home. My son ran into this man a few days after I got stateside and told him we'd be over to get the car in a few days. No one has seen him or my car since. The local police force weren't really interested in my personal problems.

I bought that Plymouth in 1970. If I ever run across that man I'll beat him within an inch of his life and if I can't do it I'll pay someone else to do it for me.

I best quit. My blood pressure gets high just thinking about it all.

Someday I'll either fix that clock or build another.

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.