Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
49 Bob Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi all,
Spent the last week or so installing a new YnZ's harness in my 49. Didn't know my body could bend in as many ways as it did trying to get connections made behind the dash. Anyway, got the main wiring harness in, polarized the generator, fired it up, all was well. Then began installing the 7 wire turn signal harness. That went well, or so I thought. Went to hook up the negative battery cable and got a spark to the terminal. Retraced my steps and unhooked the turn signal harness. Got back to the same point as before I started with the turn signal, went to hook up the battery, got a smaller spark and could hear the voltage regulator click. Started it it up anyway, all attached systems ran fine, ammeter was reacting normally. Question is, what is causing the spark and regulator noise? I checked all my grounds again, all looked well. Secondarily, what might the issue be with the turn signal harness? Might there be some wires touching inside the turn signal unit? It is an aftermarket Auto Lamp switch that was working fine with the old aftermarket turn signal wiring before began this process.

Thanks, Bob

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
How about the wires to turn signals in the steering column and turn signal switch? Are they new? I had a problem with that on my 53, wires were bare going to the turn signal switch. Put in a new switch and wires, solved my problem.

macourtney
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Trunk light, glove compartment light, dome light, any accessory that may have been on the 2nd time?

49 Bob Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I don't have a trunk light, dome light works but the door was closed, but the glove box light and clock light are hooked up but did not work. Maybe because they are hanging loose and not grounded to the dash.

49 Bob Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Anybody??? I know the simple answer is that there is a circuit open, but I can't identify it. I was just looking for quick procedure to follow, or maybe someone to suggest an AH HA! moment.
Thanks

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
49 Bob,

I put a YnZ wiring harness in my 1950 Styleline Deluxe 4dr Sedan about 22 years ago. As you know, the 1949 and the 1950 wiring harnesses are similar (but not identical). My car has the Guide turn signals and worked OK after installation. You are welcome to take a look at the car. Give me a call if you are interested.

Chevy50Jim

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
If you are getting a spark that tells me it isn't a OPEN circuit, but you have something that is using juice with the switch off, maybe the ignition switch isn't in off but is on. Take a 6 volt test light (the lead wire on a good ground and stick the probe into each terminaland check each lead out of the ignition switch and see if one of them had 6 volts when the switch is off. Then do the same thing with the light switch and the stop light switch (one lead of the stop light switch could be ok if it is hot, but not both), also it could be a leaky voltage regulator, starter solenoid, cigar lighter, radio, whatever that runs on 6 volts. I would unplug each thing, lights, ignition, heater, lights, etc one by one until there is no spark when the negative battery cable is connected, that is the culprit.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
49 Bob Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I replaced the horn relay, that was the part that was clicking, all seems well at this point. I'll start again tonight on the turn signal. Thanks for your responses. Hopefully Jim, I will see you on Saturday in Englewood if all goes well.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.