Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#115900 02/17/08 08:05 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
I have a windscreen frame and I believe it is from a Chevrolet 1926 or older. If someone can tell me the year, it will be great

The width of the upper frame top is 94 cm or 37"

[Linked Image from img401.imageshack.us]

Regards
Arvid

Last edited by Bluezone; 02/17/08 08:12 AM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
You could ask Erik Sandberg in Fredrikstad, ersandb2@online.no as he has cars from those years. May be Tor Sommervold, Jonsvatnet, tsommerv@online.no or Asbjørn Rognerud chevy-asbjorn@hotmail.com can help too?

:vcca:

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Of course, I know I can ask someone who has this type of cars. But this time, I ask the Forum !
Arvid

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

My guess is 1925

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi All,
No point guessing, but it was a good one. My '25 measures 94cm exactly.
I do not think the '24 was different so it may be from that year as well, but I am not certain. '26 was the same frame but different posts, I recall, to clear the body swage line.
You are lucky to find a whole screen in that condition, for even here in dry Oz ,they are invariably rusted out.
Aren't they a beautifully made item from thin plate? There must have had some fine sheet metal machinery and tooling used to make them. US sourced steel helped because of its deep drawing capacity and was the envy of the world at the time. I would love to see it being done, and also the faultless corner joins.
I love looking at the amazing detail and steel forming on US cars.It really is quite extraordinary and especially so in small items like lamp bodies or fancy radiator shells and accessories. 1920's hubcaps are stunning examples (eg Dodge 4, Hudson, Essex) even though mostly aluminium or brass. However much heavier steel items like pedals,wheel mounts etc. are also often beautifully formed or forged. European cars seem to be quite crude by comparison.
My aircraft engineer father first pointed it out to me one time when he was looking at the front mudguard of my 1934 Terraplane which is huge,has complex curvature and is of seamless construction. Since that interesting discussion I find myself forever wondering how items are formed, steel in particular, and the best examples are often not automotive, but utility houshold or workshop items. They are nearly always US made from the 1890's to 1930's. Very clever indeed and items of great accuracy. Alas it seems a lost art now.
All of which has little to do with identifying your windscreen frame other than it is a fine example of sheet steel forming for a 1925 Chevrolet.

Cheers, Geoff.

Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Thank you Geoff and Ray
Exactly what I need. :)
Most of this type screen are, as you says, rusted out.This one are in perfect condition.
I buy this frame in Hershey flea market, and I hope it was a -27 or a -28 frame. But no. The -27 and 28 frame is 4 " larger.
I have been in Brisbane, and hope I can go back to your country
some times.

Best regards from Norway
Arvid

Last edited by Bluezone; 02/18/08 02:21 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Am trying to date windscreen frames and posts for superior chev. Thought I would continue this thread as Arvid has kindly illustrated a frame above - thought to be 25. I suspect posts and frames are interchangeable 24 - 26. Swage line comencing in 1927 and chop to bottom of post. I have a dozen or so frames and posts in my parts dept including 2 assembled one of which I aquired over the weekend. While all fit my 25 & 26 cowl I note a few variations. Firstly the manner in which the hood (top) is attached to the top of the post i.e. threaded nut or clamp, height of top screen i.e 10 1/2 inch and 12 1/2 inch. One further observation was that the posts with clamp fittings for top all have remnants of nickel plating while threaded posts are painted.

OK here is the question. Do these variations relate to different years and or different body styles. A search through my parts books suggests the shorter top screen was used on the light delivery but dimensions not given for roadster and tourer. The assembled frames I have with the shorter top screen all have the clamp fitting and nickel plating. So whats going on?. Why would light delivery need shorter top screen (different height seating position?)I see no advantage. Furthermore why would light delivery have nickel plated windscreen posts?. Or is the shorter top screen and clamp fitting windscreen post 1924?

Hope this all makes sense

Ken

Im assuming that pre 1926 cars came to New Zealand from Canada assembled and 1926 on also Canada sourced but were assembled in NZ.

Last edited by BOPNZ; 07/15/09 03:47 AM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Lesson learnt - Always do your homework before you leap on the forum. Shorter top screen and nickle posts are 1924. 1925 & 1926 posts & frames appear to be exactly the same. My lame excuse is I have never owned or indeed seen in the flesh a 1924 tourer or roadster.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have this same exact wind sheild, that I would love to sell. It has the clips for the side curtains and the bracket for the rear view mirror. Make offer.
Thanks
Woodbutcher

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Some of the assumptions mentioned above are wrong.
The screen shown is for 25 and early 26 (the plain body) mid 26 introduced a swage line and therefore had different posts.The 27 screen is very different than a 28 screen, the top section is the same but the posts and bottom section are entirely different
Hope this helps
Chris

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for that chevguroo. I must say that I have never seen a 1926 chev in New Zealand with swage lines however I believe they were available in Australia as Peter Jackson used to supply replacement 1926 doors with one swage line.

Cheers

Ken

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Bob
The Aus one was the same as the US one so I guess they would have been sold in NZ, must be a bit are over there, plenty over here
Chris

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chris

Have just done a quick google & Bing and cant find a pic of a 26 with swage line on open cars. Can anyone provide a link. Im curious as to when the swage was introduced. was it an option or standard in late 26. Was it specific to canadian, US or Aus bodys

Also - have noted the 1924 radiator surround appearing on some presumably early 25s (one for sale on tbay at mo). Was this a case of the aus, nz assemblers using up old parts?

Ken

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
BOPNZ,

No links, but I have a 26 Superior V tourer in very much unrestored condition which has the single swage line on the doors.I can take a photo of a door skin if that is any help, but the body is in pieces awaiting re-wooding at the moment.

franco

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic

Thanks Franco. I did a quick search of the forum and came up with some info from 'Twin 4' re swage line which appear to be specific to holden bodied chevs. I think NZ continued to import bodies from Canada in 1926 and dont think we got the holden bodied tourers hence the lack of swaged panels in NZ. Are there any 26 open cars in the US with a swage line? Re aus bodies, how did they modify the windscreen post to avoid the swage or was it below it. Finally can you use a swaged 1927 bonnet (hood) on an ausy late 26 body?

Ken

ps. apologies for dragging this thread on beyond its useby date.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
BOPNZ,

You have a PM.

Regards,

Frank.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Bob
Send me your email address and I can answer all your questions, with photos if you need them
Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.