Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#111909 12/06/07 11:33 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello all this is a new thread to continue the dicussion regarding my 69 Impalas' inability to go faster than 60 with out feeling like there is nothing left.He are some facts.

1. Original Carb on the car-Quadrajet was rebuilt last year.

2.The rear end gears are 3.08/performance at least that's what the chevy by the numbers book says.I can also verify that the numbers on the axle match the Protect-o-plate.I don't think they were ever changed.

3.The heat riser is functioning properly,it is not stuck.

4. it is possible that the points need to be changed,I usually change them every year,check dwell and timing.Dwell is at 28,timing is at 4 degrees advanced.I replaced the wires with the proper numbered/wires 1Q69.The only thing not stock in the enginecompartment is the battery and its' green shutoff.I will not have my car any other way!

5. the exhaust is a big question mark.I do not know if it is original or not,I would say no,but,I don't know how to tell.It is a single exhaust though.

6. the car basically is a time capsule as it was not driven very much and the original owner was very meticulous about keeping his car maintained.The first time the brakes had been done was when I bought it because the wheel cylinders were leaking a bit.The rear shoes are the ones she left the factory with,the mechanic said there was no reason to replace them.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.Thanks!!!

"Take a stand and make a mark" Gilbert Kent
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Another item to check - The flapper valve in the snout of the air cleaner. It must be closed when engine is cold so hot air is sucked up off the exhaust manifold heat stove. This helps cold weather drivability. Mor important is must be open when engine is warmed up so hot air is not sucked into the air cleaner. The vacuum control that makes it move is in the snout. It is temperature regulated. If you change points every 10,000 miles for five years it is more than sufficent. I have not done anything with the points in my 1957 since I drove it to the Anniversary Meet in 1996 and it wil run up to 90 MPH in a flash. Your settings all all within specs that would not hamper performance as you described it. I would advance the timing a few more degrees, as long as it dosen't ping on 87 octane it will be OK.
Is the carburetor choke/secondary throttle plate linkages set OK-do the secondarys open up when engine is warm?

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.