Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ratdog Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I own a 1968 3/4 ton c20 4 x4 chevy with a long bed. I can't find much info on this particular model. Its all original and in very good shape. Does anyone have any thoughts on this truck? Thanks

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
HEY RATDOG, THAT TRUCK YOU'VE GOT IS HEAVY DUTY. 67 THRU 72 TRUCKS ARE VERY POPULAR. IF YOU WANT SOME INFORMATION ON THE TRUCK CHECK OUT www.67-72chevytrucks.com. I'VE GOT A 72 K-1O THAT WAS BOUGHT NEW IN MISSISSIPPI.

ratdog Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the reply. I will check out that site. I am heading to work. Talk to you later.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by ratdog
Does anyone have any thoughts on this truck?

Very good year, strong truck, tough truck.

I'm going to guess that it is a 4-Speed.

What engine do you have?

Bill

ratdog Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Bill. The engine has been rebuilt with about 1000 miles on it and I believe it is a 307. It is a 4 speed and is geared down low. Do you know much about this particular model? I appreciate the reply Bill.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have a '68 C-30 and a '72 C-10. The '67 to '72 model trucks are some of the best ever built. A freshly rebuilt 307, with good maintenance, will last for many many years. Altho not my favorite engine, both my trucks also have 307's in them. The 4-Speed you have sounds like a "granny gear" trans. First gear is geared way down low and you will really appreciate that when you need to move real slow, especially off road and/or with a heavy load.

I'll try to answer any questions you may have about your truck.

Bill

ratdog Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Bill. I bet that c30 is a hauss. Is it 4 wheel drive? What carburator would you recommend for my c20? Do you see many c20's with the stepside and a long bed? I have not seen another one like it in this area. Thanks for the info. Clair

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The C-30 1-Tons are tough trucks. Before the '68, I had a '64 that I drove for 9 1/2 years.

Altho there was a C-30 in the pick-up style, most C-30's are dual rear wheel trucks. Mine is a dual rear wheel flat bed dump. The 4-Wheel Drive was not offered back then on 1-Tons but I believe some were possibly made by "Conversions".

I would recommend the original carburator on your truck. The original Rochester carbs are pretty good.

Long Bed Stepsides were/are still around but the Fleetside bed started taking on more of a popularity. There are some benefits in having a Stepside compared to a Fleet and a lot of people prefer them more. I used to have a '66 GMC 1/2 Ton Stepside.

By the way, your 4-Wheel Drive truck is actually a "K". The "C" as in C-20 designates a non 4WD truck. You actually have a K-20.

Bill

ratdog Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the additional info Bill! The carburator is a one barrel, but all I do is putt around anyway so maybe your right I will just stay with it. I was thinking about restoring the bed. Would that be much of a job? On the side of truck it says c20, but it is a 4x4? Do you know of a good site where I can actually see a picture of this model truck? Thanks again for all your help and have fun this weekend with your trucks and tractors. Clair

Last edited by ratdog; 09/27/07 08:08 AM.
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
It's kinda confusing all pickups had a "C" on the emblem regardless of 2 or 4 wheel drive. Then all the Blazers had "K" on the emblems again regardless of 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Clair,

It is confusing as 420 was saying. It will say C-20 on the side, but especially when ordering parts make sure you tell them it's a K-20. I'll see if I can find some pictures. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your truck available?

Your carburator will actually be a 2-Barrel. Restoring the bed would really depend on how much work it needs. Repair parts are available, but sometimes it is just easier to change the whole bed. It is really not that hard to do. You could even switch it to a Fleetside if you would prefer to.

Bill

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Here is a '68 4X4 Fleetside. It has custom wheels and a lift kit, but you can clearly see the front differential.

http://carnut.com/cgi-bin/02/image.pl?/show/02/ggkc/ggkc435.jpg

ratdog Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Bill. I will get some pictures of my truck and see if I can figure out how to put them on this site. I took it for a drive yesterday. Thanks for the info. Clair

ratdog Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks 420. Have a good weekend.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
What part of Mississippi are you from?

ratdog Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
NW Mississippi. 30 minutes from Memphis

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
My truck came from south Mississippi. Did you ever check out the 67-72 truck website?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic

Just wondering if you have a 420 John Deere?

Bill

ratdog Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Bill. I have some photos of my truck. How do I get them on this site for your review? Thanks, Clair

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Bill, I do but not a farm tractor; it's a lawn and garden tractor. The Onan engine threw a rod and I replaced it with a Honda (hence HonDeere)!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by ratdog
Hi Bill. I have some photos of my truck. How do I get them on this site for your review? Thanks, Clair

Clair,

I believe you need to set them up onto a hosting site first, but maybe some one else can jump in here and help as I'm not that good at it myself. I set up an avatar at one of the other sites I belong to and it only took me about 11 hours to get it done.

Bill

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by 420hondeere
Bill, I do but not a farm tractor; it's a lawn and garden tractor. The Onan engine threw a rod and I replaced it with a Honda (hence HonDeere)!

I see. Interesting.

I was asking as I have a JD 435.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.