Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bud38 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have taken the body off the frame of my 38. On the left hand rail near the exhaust bracket(midway of frame), I have "B N" stamped on the top horizontal. On the same left rail on the lower outside horizontal part is the letter "H". On the inside of the rail, again on the horizontal is "A 7 2 1"("1" is slanted.

On the right hand top Horz. rail "B 2 2" is stamped. The middle 2 is lying on its side. On the inside lower horz. rail there is an "A 1 1". The latter "1" is lying on its side. On the outside lower horz. rail there is an "H".

All letters appear to be 3/8" tall with the last "2" on right rail is 7/16".

Some letters are stamped heavier than others and it appears the "H" are struck the lightest.

Do these stamings relate to production date, shift etc.? Anyone with insight will be appreciated.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bud,
As you may know the letter followed by two numbers on the block, head, manifolds, transmission, bell housing and pehaps many other cast iron parts of the engine refer to the date in the following way: Letter represents the month with A = Jan and B = February etc (I may be skipped for Sept) and the next number (middle one) is the day of the month and the last digit is for the year with 8 representing 1938 and 7 for 1937 and 9 for 1939 and 0 for 1940 etc.

I cannot confirm or deny that such a system was used for the frame. The difference would be that the frame (being rolled steel) would be stamped after it was made, while the casting number and casting date are placed in the sand mold just prior to casting the cast iron part.

I hope someone else can verify.
Mike

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I may have answered my own question since the last letter is either a 2 or a 1 it would not correspond to the poduction year of 1938 (either late 1937 or 1938) according to the "casting date" system I described above. Sorry if I added confusion.
Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.