Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Yeah, them radiator hose clamps gotta go! also that is the wrong engine paint (looks like Bill H.) and the fluid in the windshield washer is too rich of a blue color. Those "Puente Viejo" guys have some nice looking old Chevys. Are those the right horns? maybe so but maybe just a shade off in color? wink

Don't worry about my tongue in cheek comments. I'm just a jealous old hydramatic okie codger.

P.S. Did you sign any of those guys up for VCCA membership, or are they already members?

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
cool There is certainly a hugh difference in the restoration of this '39 Chevy and what the owner of the nice looking '37 Coupe has in store for it. Just because this '39 has what appears to be every conceivable accessory available in '39, does not ruin the car. It is still a '39 and reflects that in every aspect. I don't know anything about the conversion of this car to a convertible but other than that, it has not been chopped, channelled, underslung, lowered, raised, shortened, nor, as far as I can see, altered in any way. Further, it still has what appears to be a '39 engine with all the stock features. It would be interesting to learn about the conversion to a convertible but even that appears to be an excellent job. Who wouldn't want this car. The owner has preserved this car in ways only some of us can dream about; not provided us with fodder for a nightmare! Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks guys, I appreciate the follow-up!

Here is a shot of the body tag for the 39, it was converted in Germany and is one of only a handful that were made or are in existence.

[Linked Image from i178.photobucket.com]

Sorry if these pictures keep coming in so large, I am using a URL link from "Photobucket" using the "Enter an image" icon, anyway to make these smaller?

Anyway, note that the 39 has indeed been lowered, but only moderately and just to make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing (more in line with the original designers intent by the way), not by hydrallics or cutting the car up. And is does have a ton of accessories. Upon further inspection, I don't think the car is even piped, but that's neither here nor there (and knowing Tutu, he is probably seeking NOS hoseclamps or is restoring "OG" units, not Chev's of the 40's repops).

The point is, this great (predominantly Latino) culture of beautifully restored Chevys with only minor lowering or pipes (and lots of accessories!) is growing by leaps and bounds, and the children and grandchildren are going to carry the torch.

I sort of threw out the "VCCA Bombitas" chapter/judging class to raise some eyebrows and maybe skewer some sacred cows, but it is all food for thought in the new drive to add new members (and to increase "Market Share").

And wouldn't some of those extreme, artful close-up shots look great in a future issue of G & D, along with some fresh graphics and an updated "look". I'm not talking MTV "hip", I am talking about artfull, classy and a tiny bit more contemporary.

And maybe even a monthly column on this big movement in CA featuring some of these amazing cars?

Let's hear some more thoughts on this!!

Lowered and piped, too many accessories, and rollin' on bias plys!
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Tim, I always edit my digital photos with the program that is included in my Windows XP package,there is a small box marked edit pictures, then a sub-menu for resizeing the photos can be selected. resize as a percentile of the original size that will have the pixels in a range of 600x700 or so. Don't forget to save the editing before uploading them to Photobucket. You have some very enjoyable photos and since I would not really call the 39 convertible sedan a "hotrod" or a "modified" car maybe you should send the photos and an article about attending the show to the G&D Editor.
Who knows?
Why not see if the local VCCA Region would be interested in recruiting these Chevy owners to join VCCA and their Region? It appears to me that we have a lot in common with their efforts.
I have seen some other examples of the convertible sedans from Europe, during the late 1930s.

It appears to me that the new ChatterII software or my newer computer sizes the photos to the regular margins of the page, even though the pictures are larger than normal.

Tims37 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
You mean Richard he is the one with the huge pictures I just started the thread blush

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Yeah that is the one........

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Maybe I am beating a dead horse here, too bad.

With that comment it is apparent to me that you don't care if you're beating a dead horse or not.

Maybe, just maybe, if you took the chip off your shoulder you might get a little more positive response.

Sorry guys, that's how I'm reading these posts...... I got to get out of here now before I get in trouble..........that dead horse is startin' to stink.

Mr. Moderator........feel free to delete this post if you feel it's necessary. Sorry.

ken48
VCCA 42589

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I suppose some would call me a smooth talker; others might not. Now that Ken has more-or-less responded to the 'dead horse' idea; there's no reason for me to do so. But, guess what.....

I will say again, I think the cars 37Richard is showing us are gorgeous. I have NO problem with piped and lowered. A lot of VCCA guys have duals on their 216's and 235's and so on. So he and I are apparently not alone in at least the 'pipes' part of the deal.

HOWEVER, it does seem like Richard's posts are sort of going around in circles. He might want to stop and think about how unlikely it is that he's going to convince a typical VCCA guy and probably even less likely a Chevy Chat guy (where the emphasis is definitely on the really old cars) that piped and lowered is where "it's at." "The wave of the future" and so on. I just don't think he's got a prayer of getting his idea(s) accepted, especially here in Chevy Chat.

I will quickly add, I sure hope he posts some more pix of "those cars" from other shows and events. I really do love 'em. I'd love to see more pictures; but maybe not quite so much "discussion" about changing the VCCA and so on.

Just my thoughts.....

Bill.

PS: I will admit it would suit me just fine if the future pix were the "right" size.... Sorry to be such a whiner. Or maybe just lazy, about all the scrolling back-and-forth and forth-and-back and back-and-forth and.....

Last edited by 42bill; 05/11/07 12:55 AM.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Richard,

Take your case to the judging forum. If all you want is a fair shake in the judging I think you have a valid argument. There is no way that a logical judging method would deduct all the points for suspension if all you did was change the U bolts and add spacers. Same for the exhaust system.

The way it was explained sounds more subjective then objective, which is not the way to adhere conformity to predetermined criteria. Go after the basis of the judging method. If what you want is a car that is 100% original, then any car that is not nitrocellulose lacquer should lose points, wrong pistons should lose points, window glass without the etching should lose points. The question is method, and deductions should be made for anything that is not original. With several hundred items to look at that would make your U bolts and pipes at most a couple of point deduction. Adding spacers should net a couple of more points. Your cars look like they could win in a fair competition, even with deductions for pipes and suspension.

Setting up the judging so that anyone who doesn’t “try” to make his car original will automatically lose isn’t logical.

I personally think you should make them original, but that’s an opinion and doesn’t have anything to do with how your cars should be judged.

Brian

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well guys, points taken. I have had a lot of private emails and even responses to the threads that have said my points have been valid and an interesting read.

That being said, I don't want my opinions to be taken as having a "chip on my shoulder", I just like the idea of broadening the scope of potential vehicles and people that could be embraced by the VCCA and maybe educate and remove some stereotypes about "lowriders/bombitas" and accessories. I've always felt it's fun and interesting to provoke thought and "stir the pot", and I think I've managed to that if nothing else! :)

I was thinking my tone was pretty fun and positive, even to responses that had a pretty big chip on their own shoulders, but maybe not. :( By the way Ken, the "too bad" comment wasn't meant to be a throw away line that meant I will continue to beat the horse regardless, it was more of a "what a shame" and was quite the opposite. I appreciate your comments as much as I've enjoyed everyone elses no matter what you might think.

I will try more (but smaller!) pictures with no comments and "let the viewers decide". I have to say though, I'm not going to get frustrated and go put a Mustang II and V8 in my car if that makes anyone feel better!

Lowered and piped, too many accessories, and rollin' on bias plys!
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
No you won't. It's against your nature.

Brian

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Richard........

I agree with 42bill......these Chevys you are posting photos of are absolutely gorgeous. I noted that in one of your earlier posts. From the photos, the quality of the restoration work appears to be top notch; there appear to be some inaccuracies, but very few restorations anywhere are "perfect". As Bill and others have, I have enjoyed viewing them.

Regarding how you like your Chevy and how I like my Chevy..........well the world would be a dull place if we all liked the same Chevy (I think that's why Henry made Fords).

Remember the mission statement of the VCCA is the preservation and restoration of vintage Chevrolets.

If you want to modify that mission statement, submit a motion.

The discussion has been good, but getting tiresome.

Last edited by ken48; 05/11/07 09:15 PM.

ken48
VCCA 42589

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
David, all I can say is you hit the nail on the head. The folks of VCCA have been so helpful to me with my '40 project. On organizations, those that try to be everything to everybody end up being nothing to anyone. Three cheers for an organization that
can resist the temptation.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Richard, let us know when these guys are having another show. I love looking at both restored and hot-rodded old cars. I think your pictures are great.

Jim Barnhart
Temple City, California

Link to Jim's Chevy
1929 Sedan
1969 Corvette Coupe
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I think when someone rods a nice old chevy
is like putting alumuminum siding on the white house

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The last few posts again show why there's lots more choices than 'vanilla' in the ice cream section.

The mission statement of this organization is well known. It won't likely change.

However that doesn't mean that individual members are forbidden to 'enjoy' (appreciate ??) Chevrolets in conditions other than 'original' or 'restored to original.'

I think the bottom line is the guy whose name is on the title has the final word.

Bill.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Great thread guys!
I'm only three years into this hobby of restoring an old Chevy to original (36 Master), but I quickly found that I had to stop being frustrated by my boomer friends who think that the goal is to chop the top and drop in a crate engine and mustang suspension. I've politely explained to puzzled looks why I want to make the car as close to original as possible. I'm astounded by the lack of appreciation for this, but that's ok. Every now and then, someone comes along who is half my age and thinks it's the coolest thing they've ever seen. That, and my own sense of satisfaction, makes this all worthwhile. Hey, even my wife understands now that I'm not doing this to make any money!

Randy Nudo
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I have been involved in the hobby for only 4 years,I own two Chevrolets.

1. 1969 Impala Sport coupe,completely stock with 43k miles,completely number matching etc.I travelled across the USA from CT to Portland OR to look at-buy the car and people scoffed at it"why did you buy that car?" "my grandma owned one" "Too bad it's not an SS" many people just don't get it....I love this era,my first car was a 69 Impala.I vowed that one day I would own another,and either restore it or preserve it.Unfortunately,few share my enthusiasm for this period,they are more interested in Camaros or Chevelles....and the like,so mostly at shows,the car is ignored.I'm not sure if there is a way to encourage interest in these cars...we'll see.

2. 1953 Chevrolet 210,I knew nothing about this era at all,but was intrigued by the style of these cars.I went and found a restored 4 door with no rust and the experience has been great!It lead me to this forum,I poked around a little,asked a question or two and from that I joined the VCCA,couldn't be happier.We as a group need to encourage the youth to get interested in these cars!"How" is the question.

"Take a stand and make a mark" Gilbert Kent
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
NOW do you see why I can't buy a nice car.... here in Portland, OR?!?!?!?

I've got guys coming all the way from CT to sneak 'em out of my own back yard!!!!!

Just kidding.... sorta.

devil devil devil

Ah heck. I guess really just kidding. Actually a real nice post by 53 Two Ten.

Bill.

PS: Two Q's for "210"

1. Where/who etc. did you buy the 69 in Portland??

2. Any luck in the search for the air cleaner for the 210??

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Bill,

The Impala came from Memory Lane Motors on SE Holgate,Elan Smith is one heck of a nice guy! The car came with all the paperwork POP everything.It is a real sweet car.Cortez silver with a blue vinyl top, turquoise interior.It has a350/255hp with TH350 trans PB PS.It is an unrestored original 43k miles.80% of the paint is original as well.
[Linked Image from memimage.cardomain.net]

Also no sucess with the air cleaner yet,thanks form asking!

"Take a stand and make a mark" Gilbert Kent
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
1969 Impala Sport Coupe huh? We have one of those! We have been driving it daily for 36 years and even the electric clock still works. Our '69 has a little more than 43,000 miles on her though....the odometer is ready to turn 400,000 miles! We love that car and that's why we drive her daily!

wink :) :grin:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
53 210,

Interesting about your '69 Impala coming from Memory Lane. I don't know Elan very well. But I've known Dale Matthew's (the owner) for 30 something years. He used to live just around the corner from me til he moved out to Happy Valley. Nice guy. He's been in cars since he was in high school. Considering he was born in Dec, 1941 that's quite a while.

Your car sure looks nice. Have fun with it. That's what it's all about.....

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
What a beautiful 39 convertable.

Is it just my eye is off, or is the head on the engine a later model (~1948) head? The support mount of the horn is longer than the original? Let me know if I am way off or just dazzeled by the beauty of it all?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hello, The53TwoTen: {& others}

The "HOW" to reach & recruit both new and young members is being developed as I type.

The "marketing team" and other volunteers will have some answers for you soon.

In short, VCCA has 40 wonderful qualitative and sellable Values. Each one will be harnessed and used fully in our efforts to market, recruit, gain positioning, increase our Brand strength & image, and competitive standing. This will make VCCA an even better club than it is today.

Michael41

Last edited by mike41; 06/14/07 04:40 PM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Since we have traveled off the 1937-1942 path on this thread, let me walk down another memory lane. When I graduated from college and stated a job in 1963 I bought a new 1964 Chev Impala Conv, red with red trim and white top. As I recall it cost me about $2900. I remember it as the best car I ever owned---fun wise. Quality was another matter. I lived in Michigan at the time and keeping the white top white was a chore---Ajax or Comet, water, and elbow greese worked the best as I remember.

When I look at what "Detroit" is producing now, I just don't get excited about Amercian autos as I did back then. Today's Impala looks like it was made to be a taxi. I have not bought a new American car in a number of years. Most young people I talk to feel the same. I suspect one thing we have to overcome in attracting younger people is the image of Amercian iron. We need to sell the excitement that Chevrolet used to generate.

I also suspect we need to do a better job of letting older people know we are here. I found out about this group because the 1941 I bought had a VCCA sticker on it.

A suggestion would be for each of us to mention (with website address) this organization every chance we get when we visit other car website forums.

The organization might also develop a flyer we could download and distribute at car shows.

I for one look forward to seeing the marketing recommendations.

David

David

Sunbird advice: When the temperature outside is lower than your age, it is time to head south.

Hubris is as hubris does!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.