Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#100191 04/28/07 02:10 PM
Bud38 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Just got through putting a rebuilt carb from Chevys of the 40's on my 54 powerglide. It starts fine and seems to take the fuel well except when you press down hard on the accelerator, then it spits back through the carb and sometimes even die. It doesn't do this unless you give it a lot of gas all of a sudden. The carb that was on it did the same thing. It was rebuilt and still the problem existed. After sinking the money into another carb, I still have a problem. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? No one around here works on the old six cylinder anymore and all I get for advice are guesses. Could this be an advance problem with the distributor?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Read carefully my advice.

With the main coil wire from the coil to the distributor disconnected. With a light source (not a flame) shining down the throat of the carburetor, make a quick movement with the throttle. If everything is functional, you should see a squirt of raw gas into the throat of the carburetor. This tells us if the accelerator pump is working. If you see the gas, your problem may be elsewhere. If you don't see the gas the carburetor must be disassembled and the accelerator pump checked for a problem, or the passageway may be plugged. If so, then return to the purchase source.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I don't know about the advance part of it, but I would definatly check the distributer shaft play. If there is excessive play, it will cause your points to "float" and thus the miss/backfire. I would also check your points for proper gap, and sparkplugs for proper heat range, look for blisters.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Bud, You know that it takes those engines about 20 minutes to warm up.May be your expecting too much.Is the heat riser free?Try advancing the timing a little more.
If you don't see gas squirting in forget the above.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Check the base of the carb at the intake manifold. There should not be a gasket at this point. The insulator block is all that goes at that location. Using a gasket cuts off the vaccuum to the distributor advance and thus causing the problem that you indicate. I have seen this on three 53, 54 chevys in the last couple of months.

Walt D
1934 Mstr 4 dr/sidemnts
1937 1/2 ton P/U
1953 Bel Air HT
1946 Aeronca 7-AC Champ
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Will also cut of the vacuum to the vacuum operated power piston in the carburetor.This will place the piston in the full power or rich position at all times.The little hole under the base of the carburetor must line up with a notch in the insulator.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.