VCCA Home
Posted By: JoeS New Lower Pin play - 01/28/12 08:19 PM
Should my brand new lower (steering knuckle) pins have any play in them. Mine sure do. They are not as bad as the orginals, but I was expecting zero play. Is that just the way it is?
Thanks.
Joe
Posted By: tonyw Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/29/12 12:40 AM
Joe
You say new knuckle pins, were the bushes replaced as well (that is what wears the most)? I would think no play (at least that is the way I set them) but should swivel freely.
Tony
Posted By: JoeS Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/29/12 03:21 AM
Outer lower link pins.
One of these:
http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail...ER_OUTER_W_SEALS_PASS_5362_CORVETTE.html

I've installed it into the A-Arm/steering upright and there just seems to be an excessive amount of play, however, this is my first King-Pin car, so Im not sure what to expect.

There is no adjustment to this part.
Posted By: kwchevy1940 Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/29/12 11:42 AM
Which way is the excessive play? Side to side? Or up and down? Could be you may have worn out bushings? idea
Posted By: JoeS Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/29/12 05:35 PM
The a-arm/steering is off of the car in the Vise.
These are BRAND new. That is my question. Should new ones have play?
Posted By: Chipper Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/29/12 05:54 PM
There should not be any noticeable play between bushing and shaft. There are some "floating" bushings that have some play between housings and shafts. I don't know if this year and application is one of them.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/29/12 06:19 PM
The thread between the bushing and pin is not a real tight fit....there will be a very slight amount of play. I will check out a genuine set later and give a reply.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/29/12 08:55 PM
A new genuine has several thousands of play. Probably designed that way so greae would flow through .
Years ago we sold 10 uppers to every lower. If they get lubed every 1000 miles they will last forever. I use a grease with moly in it for mine.
Posted By: Chipper Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/30/12 02:55 AM
I don't feel that a few thousandths gap between pin and bushing would be noticeable unless paying strict attention. For greased joints 2+ thousandths gap is required for proper lubrication. Oil can be ~ 0.001 and still lube properly.
Posted By: JoeS Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/30/12 12:26 PM
Thank you for the replys, and I was afraid of that.
These are new, and there is much more than a few thousands play.
I purchased them from a vendor on eBay and am very dissappointed with everything that I've tried to use so far.
The bottom bushing requires a 26mm wrench. The bushing for the top pin (screws into the shock A arm) wont even start. The threads are obviously wrong.
This is VERY frustrating.
Posted By: JoeS Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/30/12 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
A new genuine has several thousands of play. Probably designed that way so greae would flow through .
Years ago we sold 10 uppers to every lower. If they get lubed every 1000 miles they will last forever. I use a grease with moly in it for mine.

So when I go to the autoparts store, and grease that has "moly" in it? Do you have a specific recommendation?
Thanks.
Joe
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: New Lower Pin play - 01/30/12 03:39 PM
The tube will say contains moly and it is the grease required by Ford so its easy to find. Get a major brand.
Well I returned the kit I purchased from eBay and purchased new uppers and lowers from chevsofthe40s.

Guess what. Same problem with the uppers. The bushing wont even start to thread into the upper A arm.
(The old bushing hand screws in with no problem.)

I had a machinest look at the old and new bushings.
Old bushing: .979-OD .957-root thread diameter.
New bushing: .985-OD .964-root thread diameter.

I haven't called chevs of the 40's yet.

Does anyone have a 49-54 bushing that they can measure the OD and root thread diameter on.

I have this idea for two reasons:
This is the same issue I had with the ones from ebay.
(So maybe an entire batch got screwed up at the factory)

If I believe the pictures in the chevs of the 40's catalog, the bushings (and seals) look like they are from a 49-54 pin.

39-48 pin: (my original looks identical)
http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/8131/Chevrolet_LINK_PINS_UPPER_OUTER_W_SEALS.html

49-54 pin: (my new pins have these bushing and seals)
http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail...ER_OUTER_W_SEALS_PASS_5362_CORVETTE.html

Joe
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum