VCCA Home
Posted By: chevytech3238 Greasing Lower King pin on my 32 - 01/25/24 11:30 PM
Just greasing the 32 and can't figure how to do the lower spindle king pin fitting. I have the original style fittings and the tip of the gun will not maneuver in that tight spot. I was wondering if a new style 45 or 90 degree fitting might fit and allow enough room.
Thanks
Posted By: Ed_Osier Re: Greasing Lower King pin on my 32 - 01/26/24 01:26 AM
I have a 33 and it has the new style fittings and they work fine.
Posted By: chevytech3238 Re: Greasing Lower King pin on my 32 - 01/26/24 12:20 PM
Thanks Ed, are those lower fittings straight or angled? The axle is very close to the fitting
Posted By: Ed_Osier Re: Greasing Lower King pin on my 32 - 01/26/24 02:38 PM
I can't remember for sure but I think they are angled, I haven't had any trouble getting a grease gun on them.
Posted By: Dave39MD Re: Greasing Lower King pin on my 32 - 01/26/24 08:06 PM
The passenger side fitting should be straight but I find turning the steering wheel all the way left allows easy access from behind the wheel. The driver side is a 45 degree fitting. I am pretty sure no judge would notice if you put 45's on both sides to make it easier. I do have some 45 Alemite if you decide to go that way.

Dave

Attached picture alemite fitting kp lower lf.jpg
Attached picture alemite fitting kp lower rt.jpg
Posted By: Stovblt Re: Greasing Lower King pin on my 32 - 01/26/24 09:04 PM
Hi chevytech

Dave has made an excellent point and suggestion.

Quite often turning the wheel all the way to the right and/or left will expose grease fittings otherwise inaccessible, with no other changes necessary.

I have a few of those myself, the worst being a drag link on a '52 Ford truck.

It's a bit of a pain to do, but maintains the originality of your car.
Posted By: Ed_Osier Re: Greasing Lower King pin on my 32 - 01/26/24 11:54 PM
Yes, I have turned the wheels to make it easier to access the grease fittings.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum