Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by DatOld30Sedan
DatOld30Sedan
Recently inherited this beautiful 1930 Chevy. Would like to upload more photos but it is saying the files are too large. It is all original, and was last ran about 15 years ago when it was parked and not moved since. I am having trouble finding the key so far but was wondering how hard it would be to get a key made? Interior is in great shape, exterior in great shape and fully original parts. Also wondering what a value may be on it? Has a great patina and about 80% of original paint still there in good shape. Thanks for any help and happy to be a part of the forum!
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Mr87Monty
Mr87Monty
My first task would be do not start it. If it has been sitting replace all fluids including the gas. Make sure the engine turns first by hand. Do not turn it over by the fan or you could bend a blade. Check anywhere mice could have gotten into the engine. I had them in my tail pipe, luckily it just blew them out when it started, would hate to have some get sucked in through the air cleaner.

Not sure if you can get a key without having the ignition rekeyed. You could probably hotwire it with a toggle switch for now and when it is running use a key. Farm stores should have ones for old tractors that would work.

There are a few threads on hear about getting a sitting car going.
1 member likes this
by 35Mike
35Mike
Your key situation will not be easy to resolve if the car still has its original electrolock cable. That being said, you should try and remove it without damaging it. Good, repairable ones are very hard to find. There are folks here who repair and restore them and can provide a key but you need to give them the best raw material possible.
As Mr Monty posted, a generic on/off key switch or toggle switch from the parts store and some simple wiring will suffice to get it going and use it until the electrolock has been restored.
Looks like a really cool car. I hope you plan to keep it as original as possible. They are only original once.

Mike
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.