Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Skidplate
Skidplate
New to this forum as I've only been working on my 37 Buick for the past few years. But I've been looking for a 37 Chevy Coupe forever and finally found one.

Just got it home last week. Looks to be truly a Parade Car. Spent this last week draining everything I can find and refilling with modern and fresh fluids. Cleaning everything I can reach. Getting it up on stands and inspecting everything I can see. The carb hasn't been touched in forever so THAT has taken awhile the actually recognize. The fuel pump and glass bowl was beyond full of crap. I haven't drained the fuel tank yet as it actually runs pretty smooth right now but that is next. I haven't found any rust or bodywork anywhere so THAT is good. I drove it around the block after the fluid changes and wasn't overly impressed with the ride. Brought it back and figured how to refill all the shocks. They were all less than full so topped them all off. I'll take it around again and see what was improved. In hindsight I should have blown out as much previous fluid as possible before adding some but that'll wait till later. Checked the front end alignment and at least the toe was good. If the shocks didn't improve the ride I'm thinking string the axles to make sure all is running in a straight line. Trying not to make any sudden changes just to confirm all is pretty tight and smooth. I can see cracked wire everywhere so that'll need tending to. Anyway... that's what I did this week. Cheers
Liked Replies
by Skidplate
Skidplate
It's been a busy few weeks. Got the suspension all straighten out. Actually more "cleaned up". Replaced the rear front bushings but everything else was just cleaning out 80 years of dirt and old grease. Dicked with the fuel sending unit and just decided to replace it instead of doctoring up the old one.

Decided it's a good enough time to pull the floor up and seat out and kick panels out. Inspected everything. Scraped up the last of the roofing tar material and blew out the kick panel area. Only one small nest down there. Everything is basically rust free. Can't really complain.

Inspected the seat real good. Flipped the seat over and Vacuumed in and around the springs. I know I really need to reinforce the cushioning but haven't really decided exactly how. I found the material that is used for tubular cushions. The ones that decorate the occasional couch. There are different diameters of that that might fit inside each round spring. Haven't decided yet.

Took the seat itself across the street to the car wash. I know a lot of folks are cringing with that but, say what you want, as long as you don't squeeze the handle and be cautious, one can clean up old upholstery pretty well. Brought it back and set a few fans on it over night and wahlah, as clean as it's going to get.

Pulled the trans cover and cleaned around under there. Took the shifter off and inspected down in the tx. All looked pretty good. I made a felt cover for the whole area to include the screw holes for the cover. That should be a good seal and soundproofer. Repainted the tx cover and replaced all the screws.

I had enough 1/2" felt to cover the entire floor back past behind the seat. Also great soundproofing. I got it all cut in with the seat mounts to be on top of the felt. That'll raise the seat less than a half inch but should work fine. By now it's all been in and out a few times. I'll coat everything with rustproofing before the final lay. I had to pull the shifter back off anyway so to thread the end. The ball on it was just loose and floppy. I went with a Delrin black 2.25" ball so will also repaint the shifter before it all goes back together.

The battery cover is old plywood and falling apart so I still have to make that. I need to be mindful of all the insulation not obstructing the battery and the master cylinder but it should all turn out well... hopefully
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.