Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
1922tour, Dave_in_VA
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#487564 12/07/2023 1:36 AM
by 1922tour
1922tour
Hello everyone, Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the holidays.
My question today about what fuel additive/stabilizer to all of you use when parking your cars for the winter? I generally don't put 20 miles on my car a year so sometimes the gas can get a little old since the car is sitting. Gas might be a year or two old before it gets used up. I generally use Ethanol free gas and vary on the octane level. What would you recommend to add to the gas tank that will aid in keeping gas good?

This is for a few cars. I have a 1922 touring but also have a 1969 Corvette and 57 Nomad. Would you use the same additive in all of the cars or is there something different thats better for different year cars?

Thanks for the help and look forward to hearing back from you all. parking talk
Liked Replies
#487566 Dec 7th a 02:12 AM
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
You will get opinions over the full spectrum

I use Stabil because it makes me feel better. I have never done any type of comparison testing. I do know that I do not have issues with fuel degradation. One difference is that I put a lot more miles on our car during the season, at least 500. So I start the winter storage with a full tank of fresh fuel.

I will note that even Stabil has a limited life.an unopened bottle has a shelf life of 5 years. It is no longer effective for storage after 2 years.
1 member likes this
#487579 Dec 7th a 05:34 PM
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
There are two different versions of Stabil, one for Ethanol an one for non-Ethanol gas.
1 member likes this
#487581 Dec 7th a 05:59 PM
by dgstarr
dgstarr
Marine formula Stabil gives the best protection against alcohol damage to fuel system,. I use one oz. per 5 gallons of gas. The marine formula is blue.
1 member likes this
#487607 Dec 8th a 03:58 PM
by BearsFan315
BearsFan315
Originally Posted by Dave_in_VA
Originally Posted by BearsFan315
I run the Stabil 360 in mine. in fact i use it in every tank i run all year round.

Recommended dosage, or more?

recommended dosage
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.