Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#486524 10/26/2023 11:39 PM
by luggnutt
luggnutt
My oil pan drain plug drips. The threads in the pan are bad, as I can't tighten the drain plug. Is it possible , or smart, do drill and tap the pan for a larger bolt? I have in the past tried o/s self tapping drain plugs with some success, but I don't want to go that route.
Liked Replies
#486526 Oct 27th a 12:13 AM
by Bill Barker
Bill Barker
I did that many (25?) years ago with my first '31. I used a special oil pan "repair" bolt It worked good for me. Used it for 15+ more years.

The bolt is oversized, naturally. But more importantly, it was tapered, so it got a really good grab on the metal.

If you want to go to the effort to remove your pan (after draining it, etc, and adding a new gasket) then go ahead. There's a metal piece inside which you can easily tap to a larger size. But then you'll have to find a larger bolt that has a large "head".

One other thought, after a few 'minor' leaks I finally bought the reproduction copper washer that goes on the outside. That gives a really snug fit when you tighten the bolt. I recommend it.

Good luck.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.