Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#485219 09/09/2023 4:11 PM
by ronsway
ronsway
I am converting a '41 1/2 ton PU (AK) to 12 volt. I want to keep battery in the original location. What BCI (group) and manufacture would you recommend? I have looked at Optima Red Top group 25.
Liked Replies
#487385 Nov 30th a 07:44 AM
by Lou
Lou
. By the way, the easy way to distinguish a group #1 from a Group #2 six volt battery, is that the posts are reversed. The problem is that the negative ground (earth) is supposed to be connected to the transmission. The braided cable is too short to reach the transmission on a group #2 so it gets bolted to the frame. When you step on the starter, the rubber motor mounts require the negative to find a path thru the choke cable and steel gas line. .
. The group #1 was used on the 4 cylinder cars when it was mounted on the left. (Picture #1). GM used the same photo in later years tho by 1937 the battery was on the right side and used a group #2 as in the second photo. .
.PS: Put a shunt behind your amp meter and read last paragraph on this web page to save your fuel gauge. <http://home.znet.com/r1937/Fuel.htm> . Lou
Attached Images
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.