Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Ed_Osier, Roddabaz
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Roddabaz
Roddabaz
Are there any particular places that are prone to leaks on my 1939 216 ci engine? It seems to be dropping oil all over the place, but it's difficult to know where it actually originates from, that's why I need help to locate where the trouble might be starting. Is there a procedure I could follow to help me find the leak/s? Thanks.
Liked Replies
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
Most common places are from the top down;
rocker arm cover
Side push rod cover
fuel pump lever pin.
timing gear cover seal
oil pan gasket
rear main bearing (no seal in a '39 and will drip from fly wheel cover
The rocker arm cover and push rod cover leaks can also cause oil to drip from the fly wheel cover

Start replacing gaskets from the top down potty
1 member likes this
by Tiny
Tiny
Show me a stovebolt six that doesn't leak oil and I'll show you an engine that doesn't have any oil in it.
1 member likes this
by tonyw
tonyw
You may not find it 1st go, may take several attempts. Oil leaks are a pta to you and the person trying to seal them up.
Tony
1 member likes this
by jack39rdstr
jack39rdstr
If you clean the engine down, you will be able to see which area is causing the most leakage. Check the rear main crankshaft bearing as a first priority. If you find oil leaking there a common problem there is the drain back hole in the rear bottom bearing cap has become clogged with oil residue and carbon residue, and will not allow the oil to drain back into the sump. As stated there is no rear main crankshaft seal, so if the LD rain back hole is blocked ,oil runs straight out the back of the engine. There is a floating ball in the drain back hole of the rear lower bearing that prevents oil draining out of the engine back bearing when driving up hills. The ball must be free and clean to float backwards and forwards to accommodate oil draining back to the pan , and prevent oil lose going up hills.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.