Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Thread Like Summary
Clement, Maytag
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Maytag
Maytag
Hey y'all; thanks for adding me.
Scheduled to receive tomorrow my new-to-me '34 Chevy Truck. It claims to be all original, and a driver (with a new battery and gas).

I'm excited, as this truck has some sentimental value to us.

Attached Photo #1 is my father-in-law (the tall guy). This was circa '44, and was just before he shipped off to fight the Nazi's, eventually getting his purple heart at the Battle of the Bulge.

Photo #2 is my Grandfather, circa '40, with his first delivery truck for his furniture business.

So of course we needed one.

Photo #3 is the truck on it's way to me as I type this.

I'm excited. Plans for it are not restoration, nor hot-rod. We want a useable farm-truck. We moved in June to a small agriculture town. Sold my Ferrari and bought a 1910 Victorian Farmhouse with enough room for a few animals, etc. This truck will hopefully be our "run to tractor supply for some hay" truck. Maybe drive it in the hometown parade, etc etc.

I've never owned anything quite this old. (In the '80's I owned a '41 Ford p-up, which was on it's way to a street-rod, when I sold it.)
On my list of things I need to investigate, and which I'd appreciate the group's knowledge on:
- Brakes. If working correctly, are these brakes okay and up-to-the-task? If no, then what's the common solution?
- 6v vs 12v. It's still 6v right now. Should I change to 12v? Considerations?
- Climate controls - is the heater / defroster (if working correctly) up to the requirements of a cold Northern-Utah winter?

Thank you all, in advance, for your shared enthusiasm and assistance! New Adventures are the BEST! haha.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Dave39MD
Dave39MD
Welcome! Great story on the truck. I think the first thing I would do while you are waiting for your truck is order all of the factory owners and service manuals for your truck. I got mine at The Filling Station and Ebay. If it is running with fresh gas you are a step ahead but if the oil pan has not been removed and cleaned in many decades I would pull that to clean it and the screen before doing much running around.

I always stick as close to original as possible so I don't have to re engineer what the excellent Chevrolet engineers developed years ago. Six volt works fine when the connections are clean and the cable is the proper size.

There should be lots of threads on similar subjects so you can search past posts but everyone here is very helpful answering your questions.

Good luck, sounds like fun!

Dave
1 member likes this
by Tiny
Tiny
Excellent! Now edit your profile to display the club logo under your name. That way everyone knows you support the club. I hope to see you and your truck on future tours.
1 member likes this
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jeff1951, smlogan, Pops36), 76 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,070
Posts429,052
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.