Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement, Ed_Osier, Stovblt
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#475346 10/21/2022 7:25 PM
by jeff33
jeff33
I have a nice 33 coupe all stock. My complaint is the low speed, so I'm looking for ways to improve the hiway speed. I have come across a 1949, 235 engine, transmission and rear end. Would it be alot of problems to change it over. I don't want to hurt the originality of the car. Maybe a rear end gear change would be better if I could find one. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
jeff33
Liked Replies
#475371 Oct 22nd a 02:08 PM
by 35Mike
35Mike
Jeff,
If you consider the driving time at 45 MPH, then factor in the time to load and unload (twice), driving usually makes more sense.
If you would rather drive 60 MPH, think about the expense and effort to make the conversion, and the destruction of originality to your car. A one hour drive at 60 MPH takes one hour and 20 minutes at 45 MPH. It would take a lot of 20 minute time savings for me, to justify making major modifications. Plus, your car is really not a 1933 Chevy any more, afterwards.
I can't tell from your location (Windsor) what sort of location you live in. I live in a rural area, near a town of 100,000. I am a bit nervous when I take one of my oldies into town, but I find that other drivers are friendly toward me. I avoid interstate and other 4 lane, high speed roads. It's your call, but I like the slow pace and experience of an all original car.

Mike
2 members like this
#475360 Oct 22nd a 02:14 AM
by Rustoholic
Rustoholic
FYI, the rule that I usually go by is to drive my trucks ('27 and '28) to shows that are 60 miles from home or closer. The driving experience along the byways is wonderful!

I think this '60 mile rule' is based on how much time I want to spend driving to the show and driving home (via back streets), versus the amount of time to get them onto and off the trailer (at home and at the show).

For shows further away than 60 miles, I trailer them.

Cheers, Dean
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.