Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Ed_Osier, Primo, Stovblt, whitmoy
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by GreenBayPacker14
GreenBayPacker14
Is there a market for the 1931 Chevrolets anymore? I have one for sale on numerous website and in the G&D. No offers. What am I doing wrong? Is there no one interested in this vintage anymore?
Liked Replies
by Chistech
Chistech
Originally Posted by Primo
I think "stock" cars of this era are hard. Like you said in your ad it's not really a car you can just jump in and drive to the store. For me, anything over 10k is hard to justify for a "toy". If I hadn't of been able trade a motorcycle for my 1930 roadster, I don't think I would have considered a chevy. Parts are hard to find for these cars compared to other brands and I think it shows in their following and price.

Personally I'm torn on my car. Do I keep it as original as possible and accept it for what it is? Or do I swap in a later chevy/GMC straight six drive train, stiffen the chassis, upgrade the brakes, and get more personal enjoyment out of it.

Not sure why you feel parts are hard to find. Most everyday mechanical parts are quickly available from a few great vendors that are either listed and or frequent this forum. If you mean other brands like a Ford Model A, the Chevy is almost the same. Try a Dodge, Buick, Chrysler, or Olds of the era as they are definitely hard to find. Fords around me are a dime a dozen and sell cheaper than the Chevys of the same period. The chevys are much more car than an A.
My own 31' will easily cruise at 45-50 (yes, it is restored and rebuilt), stops really good with mechanical brakes, and rides fairly well. (compared to a modern car as that is what I assume you're comparing an old car to.) I drive either it or my 32 olds most every weekend much like I did my harley but now prefer the car due to the poor quality drivers who are out there and threaten my life while on the bike. Both my wife and I feel safer knowing we at least have some sort of car around us. No, I'm not real old either but I am a class A licensed driver, have over 4 million miles under my belt, and have watched the quality of drivers go down hill for the last twenty years.
The stovebolt six didn't change much through the years so swapping one out with a later one will only get you more convenience like auto spark advance or electronic ignition. Part of owning an older car is the nostalgia of driving it. What it really comes down to is people don't want to put down their phone or cup of java while driving anymore. They know nothing about how an automobile works because they lack any sort of mechanical knowledge. What people seem to forget is these cars survived on roads that weren't much more than paths in many parts of the country. Todays roads are so much better, gas is better, brake materials are better, motor rebuild items like pistons and rings are so much better, that it all adds up to these old cars just performing so much better. In many cases many people can't even drive a standard transmission vehicle and won't ever consider learning as it would mean putting down that phone or java to shift. God knows they won't do that. Today, many restaurants that offer valet parking even have signs out that say "no standard shift cars"! Companies with truck fleets are selling off their standard transmission equipped trucks because those learning to drive class B and A vehicles are taking those tests with "automatic transmission only" endorsements. Men are no longer men. Hell, don't get me going even further than I have.
3 members like this
by BearsFan315
BearsFan315
not many vintage are movers and shakers...

have to find the right buyer, and agree on the right price

seen it take days, months, maybe a year or more

patience wins in the end
1 member likes this
by Stovblt
Stovblt
I'd be in there looking myself if I had the spare coin and a place to store the car right now.
But I don't.
With the economy the way it is right now, probably many are in the same position.
A little time and economic betterment may change the situation substantially.
1 member likes this
by TG1931
TG1931
I purchased a stock 31 Chevy Independence last year this same time. Good looker but had not been run for over twelve years. Took many hours and $3000 to bring her back to a running and driving car. Fortunately I did buy it right and to date have about $11,500 invested. End result is a safe, attractive and well running example. Named her Sassy because she fought me the entire way!
1 member likes this
by John 348/340HP
John 348/340HP
Model A's seem to be commanding a pretty strong and consistent prices in the northeast. Very strong local club network and every time I see one on the road the owner is in their late 30's to mid 40's.Pretty much any part needed is a credit card and phone call away. I do not think it is the demographics as much, while it is a contributing factor the local social network is not there with Chevrolet's and other makes
1 member likes this
by Chistech
Chistech
Not all wood guys are backed up. I’m making wood at least a couple times a month and I’m setting up my shop this week to make all the wood for a 32 Oldsmobile DCR from CN and the main sills with all the cross sills for a 32 Oldsmobile 4dr. I’ll be making the front seat frame and the rumble seat back wood for the olds also. The other wood guys aren’t backed up, they are just not producing wood for various reasons but it’s not due to being “backed up”.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.