Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
bloo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Oldcoach
Oldcoach
I need to find someone that can overhaul the engine for my 1948 Chevrolet truck. It's running but is showing lower than normal oil pressure. I've replaced the oil pump, but that didn't solve the problem. My mechanic says the next step would be either overhaul or engine replacement. I can't find anyone in my area that is willing to overhaul the engine. The issue seems to be that the bearings have to be shimmed and the people I've talked to don't want to do that much work. I understand that any engine up to 1962 would work and be compatible with my transmission that was overhauled last summer. I live about 20 miles from Louisville, Ky. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Liked Replies
by Stovblt
Stovblt
In my opinion,
Regardless of how fantastic the additive package in Del Vac is (and it is), 15W-40 is FAR to thick for a 1948 Chevrolet engine.
Viscosity is just as important as any other oil attribute.
No matter how good the additives are, the oil has to get where it's needed in sufficient quantity first and foremost. Especially at start-up.
Using a thicker oil in a low pressure Chev six may raise the oil pressure, but it will actually reduce the amount of lubrication the pistons, cylinder walls, camshaft, lifters and anything else relying on oil thrown by the dippers get.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.