Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Dave39MD
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Mr87Monty
Mr87Monty
1941 Master Deluxe, 216 with 3 speed.

Transmission appeared to work well after the first 5 mile test run. There where no leaks prior to this. It appears that it is leaking somewhere after it was parked over night. Son saw this, cleaned the floor and dried it off to determine where it was coming from thinking that it would leak again, it has not restarted. Puddle under the car was a decent size (6 inches round). I probably would have done the same thing. It appeared to be from the rear or side of the transmission. Defiantly in front of the torque tube, The bell shaped part as my son says.

We know the car sat for 7 years minimum prior to us getting it and 3 before this drive. We have run the engine in the drive way without issue. I suspect the seals are dry. Unfortunately when we did our fluid changes I overlooked the transmission.

1. What fluid does this transmission take?
2. What is the best method to check it? Both for leaks and the fluid level?
3. Do we need to do anything other than open the lower plug to drain and use a pump to fill the upper hole? Saw a 48 done this way on YouTube. Not sure if the 41 and 48 are the same.
Liked Replies
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
I know it is time to add fluid to my transmission when it stops leaking!
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.