Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Thread Like Summary
bloo, Part16john
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Dave39MD
Dave39MD
Like Jerry and his 29 I am also trying to work out the bugs on my 31 since it is back on the road. I did a search and it was fun reading the old reply's from Chipper, Gene, Mr.Mack, JYD , and others. After all that I should not have questions but I am slow.

So I believe air is coming past my water pump shaft causing it to foam when the engine is slowed down. I have some water pump grease and coolant coming out of the pump that is visible on the shaft . I did tighten the packing nut with only slight help. I added a ring of packing and it is still foaming when the engine slows coming to a stop.

The engine is not over heating and runs well.

Question # 1 is how tight should I go on the packing nut or where do you stop before you cause problems with the shaft over heating?

Question 2# I noticed a small hole in the radiator inlet pipe, inside the radiator just under the cap. The hole points up towards the cap. Watching it run at idle does not look like it would be a problem. Looks like a rust hole. Could this be causing my problems?

Thanks

Dave
Liked Replies
by Dave39MD
Dave39MD
No change today. I did have my laser temp gauge and as soon as I got back I hit the packing nut and it was 142 F same as the stat housing and rad inlet. Do you think this may be reasonable? My thinking is if I have it too tight it would be getting hot so I may have a ways to go in tightening it. A slight amount of grease still easing out at the packing nut and shaft but very little water at this point.

I must not have done anything with this pump because I believe I could get another ring of packing into it.

thanks

Dave

ps This is a fun car to drive, I knew it would be so it kept me going.
1 member likes this
by Dave39MD
Dave39MD
Thanks Bloo!

I put the Zerex 05 in and ran it hard to my usual turn around spot and ran it hard back. Not even a hint of foam .I did loosened the packing nut a flat and have a hint of water coming out.

Looks like all I need to do is find a top and upholstery shop.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Dave
1 member likes this
by Dave39MD
Dave39MD
Due to the cooler weather I took the water/soluble oil out and put antifreeze back in. No foaming what so ever, so the problem was a porous water pump casting.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dave
1 member likes this
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (modiol, 1 invisible), 63 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.