Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Bowtie Bob, Dave39MD, Joe's 37
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#470898 06/14/2022 8:46 PM
by Joe's 37
Joe's 37
Hello to all, I have a1937 Chevy Master Deluxe and have put new brake shoes and wheel bearings on the front. Now, how do I know when I have the bearings at the correct tightness? then, what would be the right way to adjust the new brake shoes? Thanks, Joes37.
Liked Replies
#470902 Jun 14th a 11:03 PM
by 41specialdeluxe
41specialdeluxe
As to the bearing: Tighten until all the slack is gone then back off until you cab get the cotter pen through an opposing pair of nuts castellations. That light preload will be sufficient. Be sure to pack bearings with chassis grease first. Simplest method is to put some grease on the palm of your hand and then press the bearing into the grease forcing grease up throughout the individual bearing keepers. Rotate the bearing while forcing the grease to enter around the bearings. After this you simply put the bearings on the shaft/spindle. Clean your hands before hugging the missus. luv2 dance

Best,

Charlie computer
2 members like this
#470904 Jun 14th a 11:36 PM
by Tiny
Tiny
I know Charlie will disagree, saying it's only this way on 38s but I'd recommend bearing grease not chassis grease. Chassis grease is too viscous.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.