Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Roddabaz
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#470181 05/26/2022 7:51 PM
by Roddabaz
Roddabaz
Has anyone had any experience of converting 39 Master headlights to sealed beam, my reflectors are shot (rusty at the bottom) so am wondering about converting them. I'm already on 12V.
Liked Replies
#470185 May 26th a 11:02 PM
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
There were aftermarket kits to convert some Chevy’s to sealed beam headlights. The conversion had already been done on our ‘37 when we got it. The original reflectors, lenses, and trim rings were in the trunk.

The kit included new head light buckets with retainers and adjusting springs. There were some holes drilled in the flange of the headlamp housing to accommodate the screws. The wiring harness ends had to be replaced with a standard sealed beam headlight socket.

The tricky part is finding a solution for the parking lights. You lose that function when you remove the reflector. Some people add fender mount lights and wire them to operate as parking lights. On my car whoever did the conversion added a small light in a housing on top of each headlight housing.
1 member likes this
#470189 May 27th a 12:02 AM
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
The guts of the 1939 head light are very different from the1937. Because the lamp body is fixed to the fender the lights are adjusted by moving the reflector only. There are ittle openings in the light body to accomplish this....
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.