Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
J Franklin
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#467903 03/14/2022 2:55 PM
by ABowlin
ABowlin
Wondering if anyone has relocated their gas tank out of the cab? This is for my 33 1.5 ton. It's operational as-is, but not in love with it under the seat in the cab with me. If anyone has done so, where did you place it, is there a kit anywhere to do this? Do you recommend against it?

Thanks!
Liked Replies
#467906 Mar 14th a 05:50 PM
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
The few times that I have seen the gas tank relocated in a vehicle of this era was during the process to convert it to a rod or custom vehicle. It was pretty much a complete custom job. The tricky part is trying to determine what size tank can be fitted where on the chassis. I am not aware of any kits for this application. I have seen a couple where I felt that the location made the tank more vulnerable to damage and leakage.

Once you figure out how large a tank you can install and where, it is custom fabrication of the tank mounts, filler access, and fuel line.

This is one of those "Is the view worth the climb?" situations. If you are not willing to drive truck because of the tank location, then you probably should do it.

Chevy kept the gas tank in the cab of pick-ups until the early 70's. They moved it to outside the frame rails in the 1973 model year. That location proved more of a problem than inside the cab with respect to safety.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.