Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#464005 11/29/2021 7:26 PM
by Morten
Morten
My 1932 did run pretty ok, but began to loose water at each trip, so I did some testing including compression test, which showed lower values on cylinder 4 & 5.
I then did a leakdown test, and could see bubbles in radiator when testing cylinder 4 & 5.
I decided to overhaul engine, so I removed engine from the car.
I removed the head, and could see there were blow through from cylinder 4 & 5 to waterchannel, and also beginning around cylinder 2 & 3.
Head is now at engine shop and will have a crack repaired, machined flat including manifold surfaces, and exhaust seats will be machined or replaced.

I now want to check my main and rod bearings.
When I look through old threads and in manuals, I can see that best way to check bearings are by removing shims until engine is binding, and then reinstall shims.
I only have shims in 1 rod, what is then the best way to check bearings?
For the mains I plan to use Plastigage to get an indication of clearance, is this the best way, or can I for the test put a shim behind the bearing shell?
Rods can be slightly moved sideways by hand, but can`t feel any slap when I lift in the rods, any good ways to check clearance?

I didn`t have any knocking sounds when driving, so think bearings are ok, but at the very end of their lifetime.
For now I hope just to do an overhaul and get the last miles out of it, and then do an rebuild in some years.
Liked Replies
#482060 May 26th a 08:24 PM
by Morten
Morten
Back on the road again carbana

Engine not in exact correct color, but the best I could get locally, and still some external parts to paint or replace, but it`s running, and running very well, and only a single oil leak to solve.
Also passed the technical test today, so it`s road legal for the next 8 years.

A big THANKS to all who have given tips and advice in this thread, but also for this fantastic forum where I`ve spend endless hours (says the wife) reading old threads computer
Attached Images
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.