Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement, Niels_V
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#458910 06/28/2021 4:35 PM
by Lou
Lou
. I drove my 1938 Canopy around 40 miles to a truck show yesterday. It took me about an hour due to traffic. A 1917 GMC parked next to me with a functioning Calliope on back. He drove around 14 miles. It took him a little over an hour to get there. While admiring his ride I glanced at the top speed posted on his ID plate. "Twelve MPH. Over speeding will void warranty." I realize how cushy 20 years of progress made. Think of this when trailering your 1990 truck to a show cuz it's "old".
Lou .
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#459019 Jul 1st a 03:53 PM
by 35Mike
35Mike
I'm always amused when someone thinks they have to change the driveline in an old vehicle to make it "safe", or so they can drive it "anywhere they want". Most of them never go any distance in the cars after they have made the modifications. Even most devoted street rodders never range very far from home.
Old cars are fun BECAUSE they go slower and take more time to get where you are going. More time to enjoy the ride, smell, sound, and approving waves of the folks along the way.
I like driving my 1926 Model T Ford. But the improvement in just 9 and 10 years to my '35 Chevy Coupe and '36 Chevy truck, is astounding. The Model T, of course, was already out of date when it was built.

Mike

1 member likes this
#478862 Feb 14th a 10:59 AM
by Niels_V
Niels_V
Originally Posted by 35Mike
Old cars are fun BECAUSE they go slower and take more time to get where you are going. More time to enjoy the ride, smell, sound, and approving waves of the folks along the way."

This is exactly also why I enjoy driving my old cars, and the challenge of getting a gear shift up/down perfectly right with out a sound in a unsynchronized gearbox.
I have a British made truck from 1944, which tops out at 21mph, its a joy to drive, and I just plan with a bit longer traveling time.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.