Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi 37Richard,

For more elaboration on this subject I recommend you go to: JUDGING MANUAL

Of particular interest is: Page 5, para E

This following information is extracted from that document.

The owner, through the use of genuine Chevrolet literature and documents, must validate the accessory appointments. Owners are encouraged to have this literature available at meets along with the mandatory Owner's Manual, it is the owners responsibility to provide documentation to validate authentic accessories if a question exists. Accessory manuals and literature will aid in this process.

As all the information to answer your question is in the JUDGING MANUAL I leave it for you and (others) to go read that manual.

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Ray, based only on your icon, is it bad form to ask judging questions on the chat forums? Just curious...

Lowered and piped, too many accessories, and rollin' on bias plys!
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Not at all. Any serious, or perhaps not even serious question, posted on this site will receive a serious answer.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Ray, I'm new and have a lot to learn, I appreciate the section from the judging guidelines, thanks for getting me that!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Accessories...............

Some people like accessories.............some people don't.

Do what pleases yourself.

ken48
VCCA 42589

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Accessories...............

Some people like accessories.............some people don't.

I like some and don't like some others.
I may not like your way of dressing up a car, but I won't ever tell you....since it is your car.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Amen, MrMack. newangel

I think it has something to do with politeness and respect. :)

By the way accessory hounds, check out this ebay item...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1942...5248QQcategoryZ42606QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(Take note where the items are located) crazy devil wink

Last edited by ken48; 03/30/07 10:42 AM.

ken48
VCCA 42589

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
No disrespect ever intended, hope you know that. I just love hearing opinions on the various aspects of Chevy restoration. The great thing about Chevys, even in stock form, is there is a lot of variety out there, and ways to personalize your ride without butchering the car. There are definitely regional tastes, though, I just find that interesting. How about you?

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Richard,

I think there's always been "regional" ideas about how to "do" a car. Whether a real "custom" job and just how to equip the car with "factory" options, accessories and so on.

I seem to remember that from as far back as when I first thumbed thru a "Car Craft" or "Hot Rod" or whatever pub in the mid-1950's. Some with more chrome, some with less; some lowered in back, some in front, some lowered on all four corners and so on and so forth.

I guess I think lots of things about this whole matter. But to try and keep it short, maybe there's two things I think the most.

1. I'm sure I'd quietly mention to a buddy "Gee, I really don't like that." But I'd NEVER say it loud enough for anybody else to hear; especially the owner.

2. I honestly believe the guy with his name on the title has the "final word." Sorta like the old family deal where I may call my brother an a**hole; but you better not.

I guess I do have one more thought. I do think it's (actually past) time VCCA members started keeping their mouths shut about cars they don't like or think don't "fit." What the hell harm is there in having a lowered car or a twice pipes car or a non-original paint color car on a TOUR?? I'm NOT suggesting they should be JUDGED. Judging is for original and preservation and so on.....

Bill.

(Damn, I wanted to keep this short. Oh well.....)

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
them are some good word's Bill!Can I see pics of your 42 please?

Gangster whites and straight pipes...
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Thanks Misty.

I'm sorry to admit I'm a total dummy on posting pix. You CAN see ONE picture of the 42 by clicking on the blue "http://www thing" at the bottom of my posts. You'll also see five other nice cars I own / have owned recently.....

Bill.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hello 42bill

I got help from Bluezone/Arvid as to the pics. Here is the recipy:

Go to http://imageshack.us/

-Browse- to find a picture you want to use. Reduce the size to ca 650 X 800 pxl or smaller to make it fit what is possible here. -Host it- and use the last alternative (direct link to image). Copy the link and go to the chat page where you want the picture. Write [img] , then the copy of the link and then[/img]
Then you have the picture on the post. Check by previewing the post to see that it works.

Hope this is understandable.

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bill, I can totally relate to your thoughts on this, and I hope no one thinks I am disrespecting totally stock, judged Chevys - they are the benchmark of how we should all strive to restore our cars. We have to preserve these Chevys for future generations, and not let the Model A / T syndrome of dying clubs and thus butchered cars happen to vintage Chevrolets. And has anybody seen a stock 32 Ford lately?

My taste is in concourse, 1000 point, absolutely correct cars that happen to be (bolt on style) mildly lowered and twice piped, and that may be heavier on the GM accessory side. (note I said GM accessories, not every conceivable Pep Boys trinket of the era!)

This may be a totally California perception, but I definitely see a tilt in VCCA toward East coast tastes, events and so on (I was surprised to see how few, if any, BIG California events are on the official VCCA roster) I appreciate that there is great local club activity and local events, but the national type events don't seem to come all the way to CA.

I would love to see a least a little more CA representation in VCCA, and I think it would be neat to create a new judging class "on the field" that would give the slightly lowered, piped, well accessorized car a chance to be judged and represented. (and not just be put into a blanket "modified/daily driver" class of cars parked in the back!)

How about a new class that has the following judging "rules":

*Baseline points based on total originality and normal VCCA judging standards

*No points reduction for "removable" lowering or piping methods (i.e., the car could be returned to absolute originality without modification)

*Some way of adding additional points for year-correct, GM accessories (this would add incentive, and I think membership growth, for the CA types who have a passion for NOS GM accessories)

I still think that this class of cars would give the street rodder or lowrider an alternative style of car to build, and judging and competition, let’s face it, gives someone something to strive for. I know that the value of accessories ultimately adds to the value of cars out here in CA, sometimes more than the cost of the accessory itself - if you added the $5,000 compass to a Chevy out here, it might fetch $10K more in a selling price of the whole car.

If you don't care about the market value of Chevys and this should be about restoration and preservation for the sake of the car only, give this a thought - if '70 Hemi 'Cudas weren't going for $2 million +, do you think anyone would bother going out and restoring every Mopar they could get their hands on to 1000 point standards? We should have some focus on increasing the perceived market value of Chevys, because the general public won't want to join VCCA if they perceive our cars as Model As that cost $50K to restore, and can be sold for a whopping 15 grand.

Well, I'll jump off my soap box now and see if I have ruffled any feathers again!!!! This is all in a spirit of fun and to stir up debate, I hope everyone knows that. :)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.